Mixing Question

Started by psychopants, March 12, 2009, 02:27:27 PM

64Guitars

You might find it helpful to jot down what you record on each v-track as in the following chart which was created by Hooper:

See Hooper's original message for more info:

http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/cowgirl-in-the-sand/msg3362/#msg3362

Here's an empty version of the chart which you can print out for your own use:

http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/cowgirl-in-the-sand/0/?action=dlattach;attach=375

Quote from: psychopants on March 12, 2009, 02:27:27 PMRecorded bass straight in onto tracks 3&4
Recorded first vocals using the sony mic onto tracks 3&4
Recorded harmony vocals in the same way onto tracks 3&4

There usually isn't any benefit in recording bass guitar in stereo. So, in future, you might want to try using only a single track for the bass. Same for solo vocals. If you're recording two or more vocalists simultaneously, then stereo is recommended. But for just one vocalist, you might as well just use a single track. Less bouncing will be required if you only record in stereo when there's a benefit from doing so (stereo keyboards, stereo guitar effects, live drums, etc).

So, assuming all your vocals were solo, you could have recorded your tracks in this sequence:

Tr1v1:  Mic'd drums - left channel
Tr2v1:  Mic'd drums - right channel
Tr3v1:  Bass guitar
Tr4v1:  Guitar (mono if the delay effect was not used)

Bounce to Tr12v2

Tr1v2:  Mix of Tr1v1, Tr2v1, Tr3v1, and Tr4v1 - Left channel
Tr2v2:  Mix of Tr1v1, Tr2v1, Tr3v1, and Tr4v1 - Right channel
Tr3v2:  Lead vocal
Tr4v2:  Harmony vocal

Master

If you used the delay effect on the guitar, then the FX output would be stereo so you'd need to do it differently:

Tr1v1:  Mic'd drums - left channel
Tr2v1:  Mic'd drums - right channel
Tr3v1:  Bass guitar
Tr4v1:  (not used - set track level to minimum)

Bounce to Tr12v2

Tr1v2:  Mix of Tr1v1, Tr2v1, Tr3v1, and Tr4v1 - Left channel
Tr2v2:  Mix of Tr1v1, Tr2v1, Tr3v1, and Tr4v1 - Right channel
Tr3v2:  Guitar - Left channel
Tr4v2:  Guitar - Right channel

Bounce to Tr12v3

Tr1v3:  Mix of Tr1v2, Tr2v2, Tr3v2, and Tr4v2 - Left channel
Tr2v3:  Mix of Tr1v2, Tr2v2, Tr3v2, and Tr4v2 - Right channel
Tr3v3:  Harmony vocal

Master

By the way, don't forget to switch off the drums before each bounce. Otherwise, they'll be re-recorded each time. Just switch them on when you master.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Thanks for all the advice! As I'd already deleted all my original tracks by accident all I could do was master and hope for the best.. and the results aren't half bad for a first attempt! I shall follow your steps next time around though (thanks for the link to the chart).
When I recorded the bass in stereo I was under the impression this would create a fuller sound? So if the bass was recorded on 3/4V1 I'd un-link the tracks and supposing I wanted the bass mainly on the right I'd pan 4V1 to R30 and set the volume high, and pan 3V1 to L15 and set the volume a lot lower, then re-link them again (then do it the opposite way round for the guitar) I did a similar thing with both the vocals too. Was this a pointless exercise then? Also when you say switch the drums off when you bounce, as it was a live drum kit recorded with the mic onto tracks 1/2V1 should I just turn the volume down on them in future?

64Guitars

Quote from: psychopants on March 13, 2009, 05:43:43 AMWhen I recorded the bass in stereo I was under the impression this would create a fuller sound? So if the bass was recorded on 3/4V1 I'd un-link the tracks and supposing I wanted the bass mainly on the right I'd pan 4V1 to R30 and set the volume high, and pan 3V1 to L15 and set the volume a lot lower, then re-link them again (then do it the opposite way round for the guitar) I did a similar thing with both the vocals too. Was this a pointless exercise then?

Yes, there's really nothing to be gained by doing it as you described. Instead, just record the bass to a single track and pan it wherever you want in the mix. Same for solo vocals.

QuoteAlso when you say switch the drums off when you bounce, as it was a live drum kit recorded with the mic onto tracks 1/2V1 should I just turn the volume down on them in future?

Sorry, I forgot that you recorded the drums live. I was referring to the built-in drum machine. Many beginners forget to turn the drum machine off when they bounce. With live drums, that isn't a concern.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig