Main Menu

One Life

Started by Picker, January 21, 2014, 09:56:45 PM

Redler

Brilliant tune! Great singing! The way you play the guitar is awesome!! This is not grunge, but I'm hearing some nice grunge influences (it's a good thing!). The drum track is excellent, too! Did you use some program on it?

Thanks for the story behind your song.

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Picker

Thanks Redler, I have a Roland kit at home so I use those, but I do use a pattern to set the tempo and timing first.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Yeah another winner, love the pinched notes on the lead break. Classy post.  Roscoe
recorder
Boss BR-800

Gnasty

I love this. Great guitar playing and I really like your voice. You and another member, Burtog kinda sound similar in ways. That`s high quality singing to me.  For quickly done, this is really really good!! Glad you joined in on the fun.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Picker

Quote from: Gnasty on January 23, 2014, 05:35:19 PMI love this. Great guitar playing and I really like your voice. You and another member, Burtog kinda sound similar in ways. That`s high quality singing to me.  For quickly done, this is really really good!! Glad you joined in on the fun.

Thanks so much Gnasty, such kind words.  I'm going to check out this Burtog guy.  When I say "rushed", I don't mean by Songcrafter standards, I mean by Picker standards......I don't know how you guys do it, but it's awesome!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Ferryman_1957

Great stuff, I really enjoy listening to your work, it's always superbly played and so well produced. First of all, the song is great, a nice rocking groove and great dynamics from the guitars. Really nice playing and clever rhythm parts that complement each other well. I like the little bass run when it all drops out and the drum track is excellent, and some nice sharp solo playing as well. The production is great, nice and clear but also very open, great use of the stereo image. I particularly liked the effect you have on the vox, they sound really wide and it helps create that lovely wide open feel that surrounds you with music. If this is rushed, it's pretty damn good.

Now you can stop reading here and just move on because it's a fantastic track. But you did say it was rushed and you are obviously a very accomplished producer, so I will give you one little suggestion if you don't mind (but please feel free to ignore...). The only thing that might need a tweak as far as I would be concerned is the vox. I love the effect you are using but I do feel at times the mids on the vox get a little dominant (especially when you sing quietly) and they lose a bit of clarity so you can't make out the words so well. So if you did want to play with it, I would suggest experimenting a bit with the vox eq. But that is being really, really picky. 

Overall another fabulous Picker track. Great work, a real pleasure to listen to.

Geir

Had to come back for another listen. Dig this song !!! :)

After reading Ferrymans comment I listened more closely to the vocals, and tho I really do think they sound great I discovered a thing I've noticed before, and for once I am in a slight disagreement with Nigel ;D

I've done the same as you a few times 
Quote from: Picker on January 22, 2014, 07:58:37 AM..... I recorded with the Rock Vocal preset in the BR800, then copied it to another track slightly after the zero mark (0m:00s:00ms:02), then panned the 2 tracks opposite,....
.. but I've stopped doing it. And now I remember why. :) It could be just my ears, but using this technique always bring out the panhole in me. For some reason the delayed track (I assume the right one here) doesn't get the same attention from my ears as the original track and thus giving the feeling that the vocals are panned to the side where the original track is. What complicates it even more is that this seem to be correlated to the pitch of the vocals, meaning that for me it sounds like the vocals moves around in the left side of the mix.  Is it only me or is this a known phenomena?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman_1957

Quote from: Geir on January 24, 2014, 03:08:18 AMHad to come back for another listen. Dig this song !!! :)

After reading Ferrymans comment I listened more closely to the vocals, and tho I really do think they sound great I discovered a thing I've noticed before, and for once I am in a slight disagreement with Nigel ;D

I've done the same as you a few times 
Quote from: Picker on January 22, 2014, 07:58:37 AM..... I recorded with the Rock Vocal preset in the BR800, then copied it to another track slightly after the zero mark (0m:00s:00ms:02), then panned the 2 tracks opposite,....
.. but I've stopped doing it. And now I remember why. :) It could be just my ears, but using this technique always bring out the panhole in me. For some reason the delayed track (I assume the right one here) doesn't get the same attention from my ears as the original track and thus giving the feeling that the vocals are panned to the side where the original track is. What complicates it even more is that this seem to be correlated to the pitch of the vocals, meaning that for me it sounds like the vocals moves around in the left side of the mix.  Is it only me or is this a known phenomena?

Aha, I should've read Pickers notes more closely. It could be a phasing effect from the two tracks. Picker, perhaps try bringing the vox a little closer together in the mix (ie not hard left and right)?

Picker

Ferryman and Geir,

These are some excellent comments, and I really appreciate the criticism.  I will learn from this so, thank you very much!!! 

I am not even remotely close to being accomplished as a producer.   I think the quality of sound is directly attributable to the BR800 itself, and I know this because I used to record on a 4 track tape deck, with no effects, no drum tracks, just straight up dry recording and EQ.  Let me tell you, that machine really discouraged me from recording and writing I guess and is part of the reason I have so little original work to show for my 49 years on the planet. 

Anyway, could both of you expand with a little more detail on delay techniques that you have found to work good.  Geir, you said you used to do this but stopped; are you doing something different now?  Ferryman, you said I could try messing around with the EQ, do you have some suggested frequencies?

I don't know what it is with this song, but my vocal sounds really strange to me.  It sounds like a I have frog in my throat.  The delay effect that I am applying helps a bit with that, but it also sounds phasy.  I've also heard of a technique that people on this site use, where they make a copy and compress the heck out of it.  I tried that but had some very weird effects.  I found that because the compressor was pumping and breathing the audio, if I had the tracks panned I would get a dizzying panning effect......maybe I should try keeping both tracks centered?
recorder
Boss BR-800

SwanSong

Hi Picer..had to come back for a 2nd listen after reading
all the comment. s all in all this is very well composed.
and nicely mixed. nor any rushing involved. i just felt
this deserves another bump to the top . a great song
should have more people listening cheers NEIL.!