Last Chance - new original

Started by Mike_S, January 12, 2014, 01:03:21 PM

Mike_S

Last Chance
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Just a simple tune at the moment. I guess it could do with a bit of tweaking at some point maybe a key change or something to add interest. any advice on sound or mix always welcome on my stuff!
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Redler

Nice instrumental tune! Liked the way you played the rhythm guitar! Lead guitar sounds fine, too! Relaxing listening!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman_1957

I really like this, nice melodic backing for some lovely lead work. The lead guitar is excellent, I like the little harmony parts you put in there. As an instrumental, I think it works quite well as it is. The focus is the lead, which is very melodic and varied, you don't need to do a lot to change it IMO.

Re the mix, I'd make two suggestions (just my personal preference). I find the rhythm part a little dominant compared to the lead, and also compared to the bass and drums. Either take it down a little or perhaps trim a bit off the top end frequencies to make it a bit warmer and sit "lower" in the mix. Also, you have the rhythm on one side and the lead on the other which makes it feel unbalanced to me and also loses focus on the lead guitar. I'd try to have another rhythm part on the right side to balance the existing rhythm and move the lead work to the centre. Kind of traditional approach which you may not want to follow but it would help focus attention on the lead. Sounds pretty good overall though, nicely recorded all round.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hook

I zoned out and just got lost in your playing brother, wonderful listen!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Mike_S

Thank you for listening guys i really appreciate it.

I totally appreciate your mixing tips Nigel, they are really helpful as my mixes are kind of pot luck and i sometimes make some pretty nasty choices in this regard... thanks for listening too!
recorder
iPad GarageBand

IanR

Mike,

I zoned out too!  It sounds very chilled!

It sounds like a very well recorded jam.  Its really fun to do this and you have captured your skills very well.

I probably agree with Nigel's ideas about balancing the rhythm in the mix.  Given that it is an instrumental, I would put the lead in the middle as well.  You could also put something else on the right, such as a synth to give it some more solidity/foundation.

well done,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Glenn Mitchell

Nice playing. I loved the tones. Doesnt have enough to be complete yet imo.
Some other instrument or vocal needed I think
Nice job
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Gnasty

Nice playing for sure man. Great clean sound and riff to structure the solo.

If i may say i don`t think a keyboard fits the song. I would put another clean guitar that sounds a bit different tone wise on the right pan and play it a bit differently than the left panned one. Then when the heavier part comes up maybe put  medium distorted guitars on each side.

My suggestion too is to listen to the mixes on headphones from guitar players like Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson and satriani and vai to give you ideas of guitar instrumental mixes. You have the ability in your playing for sure. Good work!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Jarle

I really like this nice melodic instrumental. Well played. As suggested by others, a keyboard or an additional rhythm guitar at the right could give it a fuller sound.
recorder
Boss BR-800