The satanic mode

Started by jackofall, March 08, 2009, 06:57:29 AM

jackofall

locrian
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Yesterday I had a brilliant electric guitar lesson. I've been trying to understand modes for ages and I just wasn't getting it. I used the BMR to try to make some sense of it all and I think I#ve understood it better now. So....the 7th note of G Major is F#....play a G major scale over that note and you're in the Locrian mode....banned by the church for its satanic sound. This is a whole new world to me. If anyone can enlighten me further, please can you open a topic in 'discussions' as I'm getting very interested in it all - been plucking nylon far too long!

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

mr2kewl

banned by the church? who knows. anyway, it is a pretty heavy sounding riff.

liked your pop corn!!

tie
8)
"Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted" Bill Laswell         "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny" Frank Zappa

wandering aimlessly around as: Mr2Kewl - The Kewl Trio - Mr2Kewl Quartet and The Total Chaos Orchestra

Guitar-Maniac

hell yea to this mode, i love it along with the phrygian,
good stuff m8!

yea, those churches :P banned the devils interval, so no
diminish scale back in the days too  :'(

u could combine some scales/modes together with this, try
an Aeolian and phrygian, u'll get some interesting sounds.

so hit the D major scale/ B minor to get the Phrygian
and for the Aeolian which is just a minor scale, go F# minor :)

goodluck in ur exploring of modes, im learning them too.
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D

Ferryman

This place is so prolific it's hard to keep up! I've been working on a piece which makes heavy use of the "Devil's Interval" for the last three weeks, and here you are one step ahead of me! I love this, that 3 tone interval gives a nice dark feel and I've come up with a similar bass line which emphasizes the interval. This is great, a really dark feel which I like (altho I have to say I'm not satanically inclined in any way!). Apparnetly King Crimson used it a lot and it is much beloved in heavy metal circles.

I didn't know anything about the Devil's Interval but I found out about it as the piece I am working on is inspired by an early work of horror/sci fi called "The King In Yellow". In researching this I found out about the Devil's Interval and realized I had included it in the piece inadvertantly (I know nothing about music theory). So I then exploited this more in the piece. I'm going to have to get a move on and finish it.

Rather than start a separate thread, here's a couple of links that will tell you more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4952646.stm (read the comments, some are really funny)

Cheers (or should I say doom?)

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Satan rocks f*cking hard by the sound of this. Such a great sound. Edgy and slightly demented, and darker than satan's f*ck spawn in a blackout. Not that he exists or anything, lol

knniggits

The devils got all the best music,great effect with that devils interval thingy. I watched the latest Bill Baily DVD and he talks about on there. I know next to nothing about musical theory,think i'll research this myself.  ;D
He's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy!

tafka

i have heard of Depeche Mode but thats it for me.
i play by ear....gonna have to get a plectrum coz it kinda hurts.

Tony J.
and if the sun should fail to rise against my
shoulders one last time...

Bluesberry

Watch out when playing this, if you get it too perfect you may just vanish, like in the Pete Townsend idea about the perfect note and all that Lifehouse stuff.  In the end everybody vanished.  That devils interval is key that opens up the door to that perfect sound.  That is why it was banned.  ::)

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Greeny on March 08, 2009, 12:05:52 PMSatan rocks f*cking hard by the sound of this. Such a great sound. Edgy and slightly demented, and darker than satan's f*ck spawn in a blackout. Not that he exists or anything, lol
;D ;D I'm with you Greeny ;) 8) 8)

Guitar-Maniac

Quote from: Witchita on March 09, 2009, 02:55:20 PMi play by ear....gonna have to get a plectrum coz it kinda hurts.

Tony J.

haha i get that, legand!
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D