"Off" a Hook original

Started by Hook, January 10, 2014, 11:30:00 AM

Hook

Off
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I actually wrote this tune before the New Year, but after reading a lot of the discussion about taking your time on tracks, I realized just how lazy I had become. In fact I almost settled for the angry dog version (both are posted) of this song but decided to take a 2nd stab at it and take my time producing it. Not sure if one is better than the other  but here are both.

OFF
1 delayed uke
1 clean uke
1 distorted uke
1 drums (YDD 60) stereo
2 lead vocals
1 bass
1 electric guitar solo (thumbjam)

OFF (Angry Dog version)
1 live uke/vocal (stereo)
1 drums (YDD 60) stereo, I lose it at the end and decided I should use a metronome!

OFF
written & performed by Hook
I will assume you didn't know better
I will assume that you weren't sure
I will assume you didn't read the fine  print
Before you walk through the door

I'll try not to attack you
I'll try not to stir shit up
I'll try not to be bothered
But it's hard because you bother me so damn much

It's just the way it is
I get older
And you damn kids piss me off

I won't make a scene
I won't be old, crabby and mean
I won't take it personally
Is it enough to just think these things

Chorus

I'm sure I'll regret what I say
I'm sure there's a backlash but I wont anticipate
I'm sure I'll learn from my mistakes
Even though my track record isn't so great

chorus

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

Hey Brother - can't work out which version I like more. The Angry Dog version has a great feel (loved the drumming) - the 2nd version, fuller sound and love the mad solo. 1st one has a barking dog though, which is very cool :-)
Loved both of them - happy new year  ;D ;D ;D
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Redler

Loved the panned double vocals - what a great idea!!! I prefered the off-version. You've produced it really well! Brilliant tune!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jarle

The song is so good in itself that which version you prefer is only a matter of taste. Usually I like songs with lots of layers, but this time I don't know. I am really glad you posted both.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Gnasty

Cool tune/tunes! Both are different and that`s what its all about. I do like the heavier version. The bass drives the song very well. Excellent drumming too bro!!

Hell yeah rock on!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Ferryman_1957

I like both versions, it's a great song. The "heavier" version appeals I guess because there's a bit more in the production (and you know I like that kind of thing!). But the stripped down version works really well and has a kind of directness that suits the lyrics. Great work on both, like Gnasty I liked the drums as well.

Oldrottenhead

not sure which version i am listening on, but love it will give other version a listen in a mo. but can relate to those words. you must be getting old and rotten like me. ;D ;D
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

stripped down version is my fave.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

steelguitar

I can listen to only the first version, the player of the second one doesn't work
I like a lot this first version
I love the chord progression, all the superb arrangements and the great vocals
Jean-Sébastien

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

64Guitars

Like Nigel, I generally prefer songs that have more to them, so I like the first version best. But the Angry Dog version has a lot going for it too. I listened with headphones and the dog scared the crap out of me. :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig