hooking a tascam porta02 to a MBR?

Started by Rob_C, December 23, 2013, 04:28:58 AM

Rob_C

I really like a band called Guided by voices and there lofi sound - Was think of trying to create this sort of sound myself using an old tascam and then transering the tracks to a mbr and then i would get a lofi sound aswell as teh use of virtual tracks and maybe have some stuff sounding lofi and ulso take advantage of the mbr effects for certain tracks (mix and match). Does this sound easy enough - i'm guessing would just use a stero out from the analoge machine and then plug into the line in on the mbr? so i would need a rca to stereo lead? anyone ever tried anything like this on here?

Oldrottenhead

i have transferred old songs from an old fostex portastudio. not individual tracks, but full mixes. yup rca to stereo lead, via the line in connection.

as for getting a lofi sound. i m sure there are easier ways. perhaps recording only on your mbr and exporting tracks to a daw and adding lo fi effects to the tracks there.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Rob_C

thnaks for the reply - Me and daw's don't go well together - i literally just record on the mbr, mix and export as mp3 or wav and move on to the next song - i hate using computers to record/arrange/mix/master music - all to complicate for me

Rob_C

also i want a little bit of that old tape here on a few tracks with a genuine analogue roomy sound on a guitar

Oldrottenhead

i'm not a big fan of daws either. i am sure tho you could still create the effect you are after using just your mbr, by tweaking some of the effects. how to do that i dont know. which parameters etc to change. but i am sure there are folk here, who might be able to explain how.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

I'm not sure how to create that sound with the MBR or Daw but I'm sure you can like ORH suggested. You certainly can hook the tascam to the MBR like you describe. I hook the MBR into my MR8 all the time, just need the right cords.
Good luck & rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely