Main Menu

New Model?

Started by RKM_Blake, March 04, 2009, 05:34:31 PM

Has anyone heard of a new model being made anytime soon?

I would love a BR... but don't want to take the plunge if they are going to go and bring out a newer model with a few key features
(upgraded condenser mics, more drum/guitar sounds, usb 2.0)

anyone heard?

later
Blake

Kody

That was my exact thinking for the last couple years! I waited for this past Winter NAMM to come and go..... and nothing yet.

Decided to take the plunge a few days ago--- I won't regret it even if they do upgrade, which is inevitable in my mind....I've had the br900 for years...Now I'm a proud owner of the MBR, and I know that both of these alone have all I'll need for my lifetime...

But to answer your question- NO, haven't heard anything- I'm sure we'd be some of the first to find out :)

Kody
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

64Guitars

I think Boss is long overdue for some new recorders but I haven't heard of any yet. The 1GB memory card limit is ridiculous. And, as far as I can tell, all of the BRs still use USB 1.1 which is also ridiculous. Consumer products featuring USB 3.0 are expected to begin appearing next year. So, by the time Boss gets around to making a recorder with USB 2.0, it will be obsolete!

Zoom has been offering great multitrack recorders with USB 2.0 and many features that are more advanced than the BR series for about two years now in the HD8 and HD16. And they recently announced the R16 which has USB 2.0 and USB Host (for attaching external hard drives, USB flash drives, etc), plus 16 tracks and the ability to record up to 8 tracks simultaneously, SD memory cards up to 32GB, DAW control surface and audio interface capabilities, 48-volt phantom power, and more. It will sell for only $399 US. It only lacks a drum machine and midi.

I hope Boss will get their act together and release some modern recorders soon. Otherwise, they could lose a big chunk of the market to Zoom. Boss usually announces all of their new recorders at the NAMM shows. The next one is Summer NAMM in Nashville, July 17, 18, & 19. If you don't want to wait till then (they might not release anything at Summer NAMM anyway), I recommend taking a close look at the Zoom recorders if you're looking for something in the $400 to $600 range (US$). If you want something less expensive and pocket size, the Micro BR is still probably the best bet. Although, the TASCAM DP-004 is quite nice too, and might be a better choice for a small percentage of musicians. It has a better user interface, USB 2.0, and can handle SD memory cards up to 32GB. However, it lacks a drum machine, effects, and v-tracks. If those features are important to you, then the Micro BR is the better choice.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

jkevinwolfe

Not sure about how Roland does it, but I know many other companies drop the price of a product just before releasing the model to replace it. This helps to sell stock. I have seen the Micro more recently for about $200 ($206 at Sam Ash). Just a thought.

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: jkevinwolfe on April 23, 2009, 08:37:47 PMNot sure about how Roland does it, but I know many other companies drop the price of a product just before releasing the model to replace it. This helps to sell stock. I have seen the Micro more recently for about $200 ($206 at Sam Ash). Just a thought.

The $206.99 from SamAsh is a "Factory Reseal". However, I have seen it on sale, now and again, for $209.99.

BMB
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Flash Harry

I will still be able to use mine in five years time. My current Laptop works fime with it and it does all the things I really need.

I agree with 64 regarding the memory cards, but you have to live within your limits. It's amazing that they can seell this thing at this price at all really. A simple PiePod will almost cost as much and it's not nearly as much fun (I would fight you for my PiePod though)
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman_1957

The Zoom looks nice, altho I had an earlier Zoom (1044 or something like that) and it was cumbersome and complex, and the sound was never up to much compared to the MBR. I still like the portability of the MBR - I can go and lock myself in the garage to do some vocals with just the MBR. Can't see that happening with anything else, which would slow down production for me. An MBR II would be fantastic though.

Cheers,

Nigel

Tony

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on April 24, 2009, 04:05:59 PMand the sound was never up to much compared to the MBR.
Nigel

The MBR is my first leap into digital recording after tape and time and time again it is the clarity of the sound that blows me away.  I record something, erase and then record again and expect deterioration in the sound but it just isn't there.  Clear as a bell again and again. 

I do find that I'm using the Mac with the MBR more these days.  I bought the Cakewalk UM2G midi/usb interface and now I have the jazz organ sound in Garageband which is the closest thing to a Hammond B3 that I've heard, either from a computer or from any of the keyboards that people I know can afford.

I'd look at a new MBR but it would have to sort out the batteries, card size and faders.

marcus_gloom

MBR= first love

The next model= the hotter chick

I cant wait

Greeny

I'd buy the new Micro like a shot! I'd still keep the old one though. It's my little friend for life, lol.