Another Scar On My Guitar

Started by T.C. Elliott, November 16, 2013, 07:12:57 PM

T.C. Elliott

Second recording this month. This one was also from a news story, a more local one this time. Please give me any nits and any picks and anything at all you hear that could be improved or caught your attention. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here is the link to an overview of the story: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/young/alyssa_bustamante/1.html

Time:
0:00
Volume:

I read the story today
About a girl who went away
And I knew here when she was just a child
A princess on display

I wonder how she changed
All mixed up and rearranged
What could happen that could make her hate the world
Unsettled and deranged?

I wonder how I couldn't see
In that princess next to me
All the anger and the pain
All the hatred and disdain
And now I see another scar
Carved on me and my guitar

I wonder how I didn't know
How twisted that girl was gonna grow
Did she always have thoughts that troubled her?
Why did they overflow?

I guess she made us pay
With that life she took away
And when they asked her why she didn't speak a word
Had nothing left to say

I can't help but write
About that tragic night
She took that child away
How do I describe
All the pain and fear inside
and thoughts no words can say?
No words can say

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

bruno

Great tune, tells a story, albeit a sad one - excellent vocals, very engaging. There was a touch of overloading with the bass, although I actually liked that. So great production and song.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

AndyR

Oh, this is mighty fine.

Love how the melody goes up on the last note of the first two lines of each verse. Vox sounds great.

So, are you doing NaSoAlMo? I'd never heard of it until a day or two ago, but there's a few guys doing it on alonetone... There's NO WAY I could get an album done in a month!! (Even if I took the time off work... not the way I do songs at the moment, anyway :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

T.C. Elliott

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I signed up for NaSoAlMo. But I'll only get three or four songs done so I won't "win" the self-challenge. I'm trying to focus on better recordings. I also do FAWM (28 songs in 90 days) and 50/90 (50  Songs in 90 days)  Technically NaSoAlMo is the same thing, the focus is on writing and not production. But I've been writing for years and don't have very many decent recordings to show for it. Also I'm hearing some different instruments for some of these recordings. I'm using thumbjam for a lot of stuff (cello on Bully and Trombone for this one.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

thetworegs

A beautiful song made from such tragic cercumstance ..it's a keeper

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Farrell Jackson

That's a very sad story but your words put the questions out there very well. I suppose the answer's aren't easy ones...it's just sad that things like this happen all to often.

This is a good song with a great vocal melody T.C. The only nit pick I have, and it's not a major one at all, is the bass tone. I would soften it a bit by pulling back some of the bass midrange eq so it sat in the mix easier. Now it seems to dominate a little too much. I don't think it's a volume issue but more of an eqing fix.

Excellent but sad song!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Hook

Really wonderful song, really scary story (I'm only a few chapters in). Love the lyrics & how you interpret the story for us & love the trombone melody. Solid songwriting brother! I really dig the TJ, the sounds are just so perfect sounding and the expression you can get out of it amazes me. I really think of my iphone as an instrument much more than a gadget or devise. I find myself performing with just as much emotion and personal expression with my phone as I do with uke,guitar or bass.  And to be able to create string & horn sections is something I really didn't think I'd ever be able to do on my own. So keep on rocking the TJ T.C.!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Jarle

Powerful storytelling. Your voice reflects the sadness of the story.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Redler

Loved this from start (great intro btw) to finish!! Really melodic song with stunning lyric!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman_1957

A very serious piece of work that comes over really well given the sad, sad story. I love the horn/synth/whatever it is that adds a mournful melody to the song.

This reminded me a Georgia Lee by Tom Waits on  Mule Variations. Also a very sad back story, if you don't know it do give it a listen. Always brings a tear to my eye.