vocal looper - any advice/recommendations?

Started by Hilary, September 28, 2013, 04:39:52 AM

Hilary

Hi guys - I'd like to do a song live where I want to loop the vocal (probably acapella as I'm hopeless at strumming a proper rhythm) and do a running commentary over the loop. It may shock some of you to know I'm not very good with technology ;) so I need something that's idiot-proof. Also I use in-house sound systems and there is absolutely no time for messing about.

Have you got any recommendations?

Thanks x
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hook

As far as I know Haylie there aren't any specific vocal loopers but I like the Boss ones (surprise)

The RC-3 is the most basic, press pedal to record, press again and it plays the loop. You will need a mic with a quarter inch plug (or an adapter) I use the old double pedal version the RC20 but they've discontinued that one & replaced it with the rc30

This one is the cheapest one, the Ditto looper from TC electronics

It will probably do what you need but I've never used one.
They of course make bigger and better ones but it doesn't seem like you need to many features. None of them are entirely idiot proof, timing is really important but with a little practice it's pretty easy.

Just a thought but if you had it all set up before hand couldn't you use the BR80?

Regardless, I love using my looper live, with the double pedal ones (my old one at least) you can layer up to 11 loops, great for adding percussion, lead lines & vocal harmonies. It really can add depth to a soloists performance!
Good luck!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Blooby

Don't know how you are recording, but you could pop on a drum pattern, sing to that, and then cut and paste after losing the percussion/metronome.

The Boss vocalizer (harmonies and such) has a built-in looper, but it isn't cheap.  I ditched mine after owning it for a while because of some limitations.  Great bit of gear, though, for what it is.

I looked into the RC-30 pedal (mentioned above), but there are some questionable reviews about some glitchiness.  Some have stuck with the RC-20, which is the one that preceded it.  The Ditto may not be packed with bells and whistles, but the reviews have been favorable that I have seen.  Crazy how tiny the thing is.  The box it comes in is smaller that a Boss single pedal.

Luck.

Blooby

thetworegs

The Ditto's on my shopping list......oh no i've got Gas!! again....no i must wait....ssssss....GAS!!!

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Hilary

Blooby - I don't want to record it, I want to perform it live.

I'm struggling to see how this is going to work for my, err specific requirements, at the moment - but I like the idea of the Ditto.

Thanks for the information guys :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

peterp

I've got the older Boss RC-20xl, works well and I found it for cheap in the used pedal bin since it is obsolete.
Biggest issue is getting the "foot" timing right, as well as setting the live and loop levels.
A little mixer really helps there.

KT Tunstall uses an Akai Headrush to make her songs
http://www.akaipro.com/e2headrush

I learned a lot on live looping from her lesson videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dycuZbWWUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH1euOP3zZ4

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

bruno

Hook is right, a looper is what you need - although they take some practice to get good at it. I've got the RC-30, which I'm ashamed to say is still in the box. Tried it a few times live (the RC-30 has an XLR for mikes including phantom power - if memory serves me correctly) and its good but it can be fiddly on stage. There are loads of options - remember Joe and Stir-it-up, that was a head-rush loop pedal. Doesn't look like Behringer or Joyo make one btw.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hilary

Quote from: bruno on October 05, 2013, 01:23:51 AMThere are loads of options - remember Joe and Stir-it-up, that was a head-rush loop pedal. Doesn't look like Behringer or Joyo make one btw.
B

I really liked Joe's stuff - I'm struggling to visualise how it's going to work when I have to get on and off stage so quickly and won't know that the sound system is like beforehand. Also £250 seems a tad excessive for 1 gag, although I'd probably use it for others.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hilary

Yes James I like the look of it too but it says it's for guitarists and I want it for vocals. Presumably I'd link the mic up to it, instead of the guitar (that's as technical as I get I'm afraid) but I wonder what it'd sound like for vocals (£85 is much more do-able though).

Also it's only small - I'd have to link the mic up beforehand and other comedians would have to use the mic before me. I'm standing up, what are the chances of it turning over or me hitting that tiny button at the right moment (I only get 10 mins for the whole set and they are fiercely strict on times!)

If anyone has a Ditto and uses it for vocals, I'd love to know how they get on.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça