'Our English Coasts'

Started by Greeny, February 24, 2009, 03:23:16 AM

64Guitars

Very nice song, Tim. And great lyrics! I admit I had to look up "samphire". The definition in my Collins Dictionary begins "an umbelliferous plant of Eurasian coasts". So then I looked up "umbelliferous". :D Anyway, thanks for expanding my vocabulary. I really like lyrics like these that make good use of the language. They paint a more interesting picture than the typical lyrics of most pop and rock songs. And, if I have to look up a word or two, I don't mind at all. It makes the lyrics even more enjoyable when I learn something from them.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Lika

WOOOWWWWW!!!
Man, you got me emotive...  :'(
Perfect song, perfect lyrics...

"The drizzle makes me want to draw you closer
Close enough to breath in all your skin"... Just BEAUTIFUL

Round of applause for you! That's for sure!!!

BossMicroBRew

Late tonight, finally got a chance to listen to this. Like everyone else, I was trying to find a lyric that I particularly liked, but I quickly found myself highlighting the entire song. The background sounds really add depth to the sound.

I don't know how you come up with all of these, but they're absolutely brilliant.  :o :o
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Greeny

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on February 24, 2009, 04:57:43 PMHave you listened to Roy Harper much? This song reminds me of some of his later work. And which town inspired it?

I don't know Roy Harper - will have to check him out.

It's not about one town in particular. The song is about a love-hate relationship with England and a love-love relationship with my girlfriend (a source of constant inspiration...) :) 

For her, the coasts will be Devon. For me, they'll be West Sussex. So it's kind of an amalgamation.

p.s. Samphire is a coastal plant that grows on cliffs and near the ocean. There are different varieties, and I believe the leaves can be cooked and eaten - never had them myself though! I just think it's a lovely word... samphire.

Greeny

TIM GREEN_Our English Coasts_withMike
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Flash Harry has enhanced the second half of the song with some tasteful and perfect bass. I wasn't expecting him to, but as always, his ears were right - it needed it!

Thanks Mike!!!!  :)

Flash Harry

Tim,

I was just noodling. I love your music and I just can't help myself. It makes me feel that I have to join in.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman_1957

Truly beautiful.

Re Roy Harper, you can't get much of his stuff on mp3. The sentiment of your song reminded me of "When an old cricketer leaves the crease", but it doesn't have the romantic angle of yours. Check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3NUvwdZOKU

and try some of his other stuff on YouTube. You'll enjoy it.

Cheers,

Nigel

Greeny

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on February 25, 2009, 03:40:35 AMTruly beautiful.

Re Roy Harper, you can't get much of his stuff on mp3. The sentiment of your song reminded me of "When an old cricketer leaves the crease", but it doesn't have the romantic angle of yours. Check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3NUvwdZOKU

and try some of his other stuff on YouTube. You'll enjoy it.

Cheers,

Nigel

Wow... I can't believe I've never stumbled across this guy. He's worked with Gilmour and Floyd, and I found a Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel cover of one of his songs! Will be investigating this much further. Thanks for the education!  :)

The Reverend 48

I love it god you are Talented 8) The Bass really adds depth well Done to Flash Harry :o

hooper

The lyrics strike me as very mature. (I mean 'well developed') And all the instruments fit in to support the words.  Another nice one, Tim!  I would give a lot to have the kind of relationship with the Muse that you and Jim Higgins enjoy.  ;)
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.