My castle is on the hill - Ian Robertson original

Started by IanR, June 15, 2013, 11:40:35 PM

Greeny

Beautiful melodies and touching sentiments... she's bound to love it! A really well-crafted song. Nice one :-)

henwrench

Great song and I love all the 'headspace' stuff going on. Sounds like b/v's and that violin works well as it's own weird sound, love that sort of thing...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

This sounds deadly, that casio sounds great.  I just got an old Casio from a friend, after hearing this I am going to have to use it on my next song.  I love that old-school sound.  Your lyrics are very good, real good poetry here.  It almost has a country waltz feel going on.............Excellent song.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hook

Great tune Ian, really enjoyed the listen. That violin sound like a melodica to me & I love my melodica!
Rock On brother!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

IanR

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 16, 2013, 12:14:01 PMNice song Ian. The violin patch sounds good in this but you're right that it doesn't sound much like a violin. It doesn't matter though because it suits the song quite well. I like the vocals and guitar. There's a subtle background vocal in the chorus that I thought could have been a bit louder - it sounds good but is very difficult to hear properly.

A couple of people mentioned the mix.  I'm trying to work out how to have a really strong and decipherable lead vocal without too much double tracking.  I find that if I bring the backing vocals up too much, then it starts to get a bit woolly.  And at the same time have a dynamic musical performance. 

I think that there might be something I can do with compression but I'm not really sure how that works yet.  I know what it does but I'm not sure how, or when to apply it.  So, I'm trying to get the mix levels right with just the faders. 

Someone else mentioned the guitars were not loud enough.  I kind of agree but I kind of really like the crappy violin patch, so that gets to feature a bit more on this track instead of the guitars.  I did think about a fuzzy guitar but I stopped before I had a chance.  This was one of those songs that took weeks to finish off and I was really sick of it by the time I posted it.

So thanks for the kind comments and yes, I did get some extra attention after I played it for Mrs IanR.

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Geir

Really a lovely song !!

I too love the "strings" doesn't matter what they're called, they fit the song well !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........