Eurovision 2013

Started by Burtog, May 18, 2013, 03:04:56 PM

bruno

Quote from: Hilary on May 19, 2013, 12:58:04 AMI was out and so missed it all (not that interested to record it)

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 18, 2013, 07:05:23 PMI've never been very interested in watching people sing and dance. I want to see skilled musicians playing their instruments.

that's an interesting opinion in that you do not see singers as skilled musicians . . .

Q: What do you call a guy who hangs around with musicians?
A: The drummer.

;D
......I'll get my coat ......

recorder
Boss BR-1600

bruno

Here is the UK, Eurovision is seen somewhat of a comedy night, albeit the biggest non-sporting event in the world. We love all the grandstanding, pomp and kitsch and tactical voting. Its so obvious its hilarious. I think some countries take it quite seriously, so the UK's attitude doesn't go down well. Oh well.

Its not really about the music, I think Waterloo by Abba was the only great song from that competition in all its years, and its not one of Abba's best.

Congrats to Denmark, but it was a typical formulaic song (as were most), devoid of any passion and soul - well rehearsed and delivered with aplomb - but doesn't move me, doesn't say anything - songs by numbers. I did think that you could mash up the Denmark and the UK songs together, seamlessly - that says something! So, Greece I loved, because it was mad and fun and about drinking, Malta - cos it had a uke and sounded a but like Jack Johnson and Romania - for being out there, and by a long mile - the rest, song wise, I can't really recall that  much about.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

ODH

I fell asleep. But then I always do.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

andy casson

The last one I saw was 2010, and was so impressed I bought the album! Never happened before or since... I balme it on the fact I was working in Finland at the time.... I will say I still play some of those songs though!

...I'll get my coat as well...
andy

bruno

Perhaps we should do a Eurovision fest, all those classic songs of the past ....

My singing may be up to the required standards for that :-)

Oh, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imYLq_NQtaU

recorder
Boss BR-1600

SteveB

Aw, cack. Did I miss the Eurofest...again??  ::)
Thank you God.  :-*
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

dasilvasings

Come on! I was 6, I didn't know a word of English, and I was gladly singing along!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVvz7NA28CM

At the time Eurovision was a big thing in Portugal. I stll have quite a few 45rpm my parents would buy.
Now... I don't consider myself very nationalistic, but I am extremely proud of my country when it comes to the "Portugal: 0 points". In the actual Eurovision context, that can't be a bad thing ;-)

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Redler

Thanks Geir for cheering Finns :)

I haven't watched Eurovision song contest hardly at all... probably in the 70's Seventies when Abba won it...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Migs

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 18, 2013, 07:05:23 PMI've never seen Eurovision and I don't know much about it, but I get the impression that it's all about choreography and pretty girls singing to a backing track. I've never been very interested in watching people sing and dance. I want to see skilled musicians playing their instruments.

Does anyone actually play an instrument on Eurovision?

Ahhh, see all of that would not fit within the rules.  It isn't a musicianship contest. It is a song contest.  There aren't a lot of rules.  All vocals must be live - you can't have any vocals on your backing track.  Every entry must have vocals - no instrumentals allowed. And you have a strict time limit of 3 minutes since the Italians rocked a 5 minute song and threw out the scheduling.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !