Sending Mono Out off BR-800

Started by gorgorsan, April 23, 2013, 10:10:55 AM

gorgorsan

Hi, if I want to send only mono out what would be an appropriate way (volume-wise), using only one of the outs (if so , L?) or buy a Y cable and use both L & R outs?

gorgorsan

I forgot to mention that I want to use this configuration with only a guitar connected to guitar input and use BR-800 only as an effect unit (applying a single coil to humbucker effect) and then pass the signal in mono through BR-800 out(s) to input of a guitar amp.

64Guitars

You could get away with one channel if you pan the input to that channel. However, that will only work for mono effects. But many of the BR-800's guitar effects are stereo and won't sound right from just one channel. So your best option is to use a Y adapter.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

gorgorsan

Thanks 64, but what happens with the levels? Specs say it has nominal output of -10dBu. With Y cable route will I get that same level or it will be doubled?

64Guitars

As long as you're using both channels, the level will be fine. If you use only one channel with a Y adapter, the level will be reduced.

Which input of the guitar amp do you plan to connect to? The guitar input isn't ideal for a line level signal. It's designed for a guitar signal which is lower in level and higher in impedance. You're better off using an Aux input, if your amp has one. It's designed for the line level signal from an MP3 player, CD, etc., so it's ideal for a BR. In fact, many newer amps have a stereo Aux/CD input, which would mean you wouldn't need the Y adapter.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

gorgorsan

Hi, yes I know but since I just want to push my amp harder to get even more gain (I am playing black metal) I think it could work. Here is the example of using clean boost pedal (preamp) in front of the guitar amp for this purpose:http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/1234940-post5.html. What you think? I know it is an impedance mismatch but TC integrated preamp also has very small output impedance.