Perfect man blues Mk 4 - inc solo (7thson, Hilary and Speed Demon)

Started by Hilary, April 21, 2013, 06:39:07 AM

Hilary

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

. . . Version 4 added 27.7.13 - with smoking hot lead from Speed Demon - thanks :) . . .

Well this is the first time I've actually written lyrics for someone else's music (I've done a couple before but I've already had the lyrics and sang around the backer to make it fit). Wasn't sure about what to do at the beginning - it could probably do with an intro but I'm not good and editing stuff so I left it entirely as it was. There are also some dodgy notes (voxwise) but what I'm really pleased with is the energy I've captured on the Rode.

Should have said, if you want the vox track to remix it, just let me know :)

Thanks very much to 7thson for his fabulous backer - here's the link in case anyone else would like a go . . .

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=18226.0

I've had another go at this one - more controlled (hopefully) and rejigged the lyrics :D

The perfect man  blues – Hilary 21.4.13

(I've been high, I've been low
I've had nowhere to go
I've been down and out
oh honey there ain't no doubt)

I've got the perfect man blues
Coz you sure ain't been around
Sweet Jesus, you ain't nowhere to be found

I've been clean and sober
A year since we've been over
I've been black and blue
man I'm so in love with you

I've been north and south and east and west
Just know it honey, you ain't never had my best

The Perfect Man Blues
Backer 7thson, lyrics/vox Hilary, lead Speed Demon
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Jarle

Nice work. I enjoyed the rawness in your voice. Great collab.

JOA
recorder
Boss BR-800

flyon90

Good track, I liked the guitar tone and the vocals were well done and a perfect match for the song.

cuthbert

This is very well done, Haylie...you've really been flexing your vocal "muscles" lately. :) That RØDE mic really suits your voice, and great lyrics, too: the "black and blue, man I'm so in love with you" part works well with the song, and lyrically you've got a lot of those blues elements pushing the song forward.

p.s. If I may make a musical suggestion (perhaps in preparation for another collaborator?) - you may want to consider leaving a little space someplace in the song for a lead guitar solo. If I played any kind of blues style, I'd take a swing at it myself, but my lack of chops just leaves me with the bluez. ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hilary

Quote from: cuthbert on April 21, 2013, 05:50:51 PMThis is very well done, Haylie...you've really been flexing your vocal "muscles" lately. :) That RØDE mic really suits your voice, and great lyrics, too: the "black and blue, man I'm so in love with you" part works well with the song, and lyrically you've got a lot of those blues elements pushing the song forward.

p.s. If I may make a musical suggestion (perhaps in preparation for another collaborator?) - you may want to consider leaving a little space someplace in the song for a lead guitar solo. If I played any kind of blues style, I'd take a swing at it myself, but my lack of chops just leaves me with the bluez. ;)

Thanks for the lovely comments guys - Joe, it shows how much you Songcrafters have had an influence on me in that it did actually cross my mind to leave some space for a lead guitar although in the end I filled up the track. It would be real easy to take out a section, or even the whole 2nd part for a guitar and just come back in on the vox in the outro. It would real easy and very, very cool - you should so have a go at it - I'll send you the vox track if you're interested :D :D

On the Rode front - I absolutely love my Rode now, although unfortunately it only comes out on special occasions. There's a thread on here somethere - I took a couple of weeks off to concentrate on sorting my recording technique out (with a little/lot of help from some very lovely/a very lovely Songcrafter(s) and it paid off - big time. Before I could never capture any power in my voice with the Rode and I never really liked the tone that came out - now I've got a makeshift vocal booth and kinda sing across the mic - it picks up everything (!) and I can sing pretty much as loudly as I want.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

steelguitar

Very nice song and very well done!
Great vox, I like this collab!!!
Agree with the comment of cuthbert : there is no place for a guitar solo!  :-[
Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Hilary

Quote from: steelguitar on April 22, 2013, 03:34:06 AMAgree with the comment of cuthbert : there is no place for a guitar solo!  :-[
Jean-Sébastien

Sorted, now with 16 bar break for a guitar solo - my oh my, I'm excited  ;D

If anyone wants the vox WAV file to chop up or they want to do a guitar solo and I'll resing around it, just let me know xx
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

steelguitar

I want to do an acoustic guitar solo on it! (I'm in holidays, and only have my acoustic)
some days please... ;-)
Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Hilary

Quote from: steelguitar on April 22, 2013, 04:36:47 AMI want to do an acoustic guitar solo on it! (I'm in holidays, and only have my acoustic)
some days please... ;-)
Jean-Sébastien

cooooool  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

7thson

Wow, Very nice Haylie! 8)  I really enjoy hearing you open up those pipes and let belt out the blues.  That Mic really captures the quality of your voice very well.  Who ever advised you on mic set up led you in the right direction.

I agree with pulling a verse out to leave room for a solo.  Can you do that?  Maybe we can get a multi-person collab going if you do that and throw it on the collab thread.

Thanks for taking my tune and giving it some lungs. ;D

Boss BR-800