New Roland booklet for Micro BR newbies

Started by 64Guitars, February 17, 2009, 03:42:22 PM

64Guitars

I just noticed this new booklet on the Roland U.S. website. I'm not sure how long it's been available but it's copyright 2009 so it must be fairly new and I thought that many of you might not yet be aware of it.

http://www.rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloads/2343/MICRO_BR_Q_A.pdf

There's one minor point that I disagree with in their page on drum arrangements. They tell you to move from step-to-step in the arrangement by moving the cursor to the step number, then pressing the VALUE -/+ buttons to change it (I believe the recently posted document by RevHeadRaZ uses the same method). Although this works, it's much easier (and less confusing) to use the Micro BR's Fast Forward and Rewind buttons to move from step-to-step. Fast Forward selects the next step and Rewind selects the previous step. This allows you to leave the cursor on a particular field and move from step-to-step in the arrangement without moving the cursor out of that field. This is handy if, for example, you want to change the tempo of the entire arrangement. You can move the cursor to the tempo field of step 1 and change it with the -/+ buttons, then move to the next step with Fast Forward and the cursor will still be in the tempo field, ready for you to change it. Likewise, it's great when you insert a new step and have to adjust the Starting Measure of all of the subsequent steps to allow for the new step. Just move the cursor to the Starting Measure, change it with -/+, and advance to the next step with Fast Forward.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

tkofaith

Thanks 64 Guitars.  One of these days I'm going to try that method for my drum arrangements.  My current (and first) recording project's drum arrangement was completely personalized.  I used the BR900 Rhythm Editor and programmed every strike myself.  It came out quite well.
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

alopix