First post -- Fried my MicroBR

Started by MichTa73, February 13, 2009, 12:34:53 AM

Ted

In 2007 I got my BR (the one I fried yesterday) on eBay, new for about $190 with an AC adapter and 1GB SD card thrown in.  I remember really doing my research before I took a risk on the MBR.

Now I'm so happy with this device (not to mention invested in it), that I gladly took my lumps and paid $159 to replace it yesterday with another used one, again on eBay.  I'll be back in business in three days.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Geir

Quote from: Ted on March 24, 2009, 04:52:29 PMNow I'm so happy with this device (not to mention invested in it), that I gladly took my lumps and paid $159 to replace it yesterday with another used one, again on eBay.  I'll be back in business in three days.
I think most of the people here would do the same !!! Looking forward to hear some of your work !!

G
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Sprocket

Quote from: Ted on March 23, 2009, 11:59:20 AMSadly, I fried mine this AM too.  It was plugged into the Boss AC adapter. Update: It was plugged into the wrong AC adapter. When I turned it on it went POP, and now won't work even on battery power--so consider yourself lucky.

Mine is not under warranty.  I called a Roland service center today, and was told that this would likely cost me $200 to repair, so I'd be better off buying another one--which is probably what I will do.  I've invested so much time learning this unit that replacing it with another one would be an even bigger setback.

Here's a tip we might want to pass on to BR users:  Power it on with battery power before plugging in the AC adapter. Uh... Nevermind.

They told you itd be $200 to repair? Roland USA???
I was quoted $75 and hour and they charge in 15 min increments.
The above pic looks like those lil flat capacitors...I cant imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to replace them. Im an amateur at soldering and I repaired my in (car)dash clock/thermostat in less than 30 mins when a similar cap came loose from the board.
The above pic looks tricky and tight, but not $200 difficult to a pro/tech.

It doesnt appear anybody has actually sent their Micro BR in for service???
I'll update these topics when mine returns. ;)

launched

I wonder if that is a fusable link - just repaired an LCD monitor that blew one of those. Granted, I just soldered a bypass gob where it was (Too small to replace with my skills), but it kept it from being used as tarp tiedown.

If the board label says "FU" or something, that's what it is. You can Ebay an MBR for a buck fifty now, so if the repair is pushing a hundred you have nothing to lose by checking it out.

Mark

PS - Just looked at the photo again, and the fuse is next to the power jack and looks to be intact - You marked over the label of the fried component. #84? If there is a C in front of it, then it is a capacitor. If so, I would take the risk of DIY on that, too.

PSS - That is a capacitor and it is a 100mf 6V like the one below it. I have heard of  heatless way to apply the new capacitor but don't know how to do it myself - if I have time I'll look into it. You might be repaired by now, but maybe someone else could benefit. What a shame all due to a .59 part...  :-[
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover