Black Flies - Original by DeificDave Featuring Chuckizzt on vocals

Started by DeificDave, February 03, 2013, 05:28:08 AM

DeificDave

Black flies3
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Something a little different from me this time, a song of two halves! Quite a dark number this but maybe someone will like it!

The track started months ago but due to life events it's taken sometime to finish. It started off with the idea of creating a backing track that I could play some harmonica over; from there it built into a longer piece.  I couldn't quite get the production I wanted, I felt limited by the iPad at times, maybe I need a BR  :P

Track info:

Featuring new songcrafter member chuckizzet on vocals (lyrics) who recorded the vocal on his laptop (Thanks Chuck)
Electric Piano was played by a personal friend (thanks George!)
Harmonica, Guitars and iPad virtual instruments played by me

"The universe is a million billion light-years wide, and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. This is the position of the universe with regards to human life." ― Martin Amis

http://www.youtube.com/user/deificd/videos

Hook

I dig this my brothers, very cool, dark but driving. Love the harmonica, been messing around with mine this past week, your playing works to great effect here. Like it all, nice vocal & welcome Chuckizzt!
Rock On!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Jarle

Great song. Love the harmonica and the vocal - welcome Chuckizzt.

JOA
recorder
Boss BR-800

Farrell Jackson

Oh yeah Dave the harmonica works perfectly on this intro with the heavy crunch guitar chords as backing. Chuckizzt's vocal sounds real nice. The lead guitar just entered and it's rockin' and now....Wow excellent mic'ed/amped Chicago style bluesy harmonica! Well done.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

chuckizzet

Thanks for all the welcome messages fellow songcrafters. Keep rockin'  ;D

Geir

WOW !!!!

This is EXCELLENT !!!!

Well done guys, really great work !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

Oh yeah. I'm hearing Robert and Jimmy at the end there. Nailed that sound. I'm guessing from your "couldn't quite get the production I wanted" that you wanted a bigger rhythm section on it?

Very cool track. Nice one guys.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

DeificDave

Thanks for all the great comments, they are very much appriciated  :D. Andy there is a definite Zeppelin influence at the end there well spotted, it terms of production a bigger sound to the rhythm section would have been better in the end section. I find the bass and drums in GarageBand limited (maybe it's just my inability to get the best out if them) I tried recoding a real bass on the iPad once and it just didnt work for me, the virtual bass gives a more consistant sound. I had to merge a few tracks as well and I think the original sound of the harmonica suffered because of that. Eight tracks were just not enough for this song on the iPad. Also I felt the guitar solo started to get lost as things built up but I had no means of controlling that.
"The universe is a million billion light-years wide, and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. This is the position of the universe with regards to human life." ― Martin Amis

http://www.youtube.com/user/deificd/videos

Pine

I liked the darkness...cool crunchy guitars...

Good vox and a rockin' lead.

Wail harp wail! The Levee's Breakin'!!

Nice collab guys!

Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200