Qusetion,,, MrBud

Started by MrBud, December 03, 2012, 07:26:27 PM

MrBud

Before asking anything,i think most of you know my recordings could benefit from someone who KNOWS what they are doing..!
The Micro Br has been fantastic for my learning processs,,often though i'm busy writing etc.. too much to focus in on specific
recording methods ,,[even EQ] ?!  Guilty.

My goal is to take a number of my most well received songs and release them in album format for i tunes etc..
My question is in regards to any others using soley Micro BR [and perhaps Audacity]  If recorded this way,how well would this music hold up on radio compared with big studio production etc...? Is it primarily a matter of "bandwidth" ? or amount of digital
info they can summon up?   
I've heard tracks here on Songcrafters,which it would be hard to discriminate between a full fledged studio vs Micro BR [used properly]

Has anyone had this opportunity to hear Micro BR music via radio,and does it hold it's own ?
I simply want to do it right,once i'm really ready to commit it to "release"   
Any suggestions welcomed,
Thank's All,
George.
Up And Adam

T.C. Elliott

If you are asking about sound quality, then don't worry. They still play Beatles songs recorded on technology that doesn't even compare to your Boss machine. How you mix your songs will have a much larger impact than what it's recorded on. ALL of the boss machines are capable of competing (or fitting in) with songs on the radio. But it's your mix that will determine the quality more than the machine itself.

For instance, if you are using built in mics in a room that has harsh  natural reverb qualities, it will be difficult to have a 'clean' mix. Room treatment can be a large factor.  Mic placement and use is a very large aspect to recording. Using (or not using) EQ, compression, delay, reverb and a number of other effects can help or hurt a mix depending on how they are used.

Personally, I view my music making as three separate entities. There is playing. How well I can play or sing. The technique and ability etc. There is songwriting. With many aspects that can merge into other areas as well. And there is recording. Which is probably the most technical and involved of the three areas. Not necessarily the most difficult, but it definitely takes as much time (or more) to get "good" at recording as it does at playing or songwriting.

All that to say, it might be worth your time and money to find a local (home) studio with someone who has been practicing their recording chops to get your tracks down the way you want to hear them. At least until you are more comfortable with the recording aspect.  Of course, if you're happy with your own results then there is no reason to look elsewhere.

And I really recommend the book 'Mixing Audio' by Roey Izhaki for a nice overview of recording techniques. If nothing else it will show you how much there is to recording that most of us don't realize when we start.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

MrBud

Thank's very much for the advice re: Recording techniques,,,, And you nailed it !  That's me,i can tend to write fairly well,and play,,both which take a bit out of me,and on top of that,going down through each instrument to check on eq,compression, etc..
of which i'm guilty of not having the patience for.
I had been part of a group in the 90's who either pooled our $ for a real studio tech. or had it payed for at  times-really took alot
of pressure off!
These days,i'm having to re-learn,reign myself in,and FIND the patience in order to hear what i "hear".
So, i do thank you for the direction,and it must be hard on the ears for others at times -apologies-
I'll keep at it,and not release until it's actually sonically much better.
Thank's again,
George
Up And Adam