My Pet Goat and I (Riding the Apocalii)

Started by Bluesberry, November 17, 2012, 12:13:42 PM

Geir

Excellent Dave!! You I get a Zappa vibe here too, with the guitarplaying and the timechanges, and the arrangement! But still it's all trademark BluesBerry.

Great work Dave !! I love it.

QuoteGuitar/bass into Zoom G3x into Boss BR-80.
Seriously ???  I was sure you had your amp to 11.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Farrell Jackson

Oh yeah this is tops BB! The opening feedback, wah and overall guitar tone floats my boat. If this is all the Zoom pedal then I'm going to look that one up because it rocks. Cool change for the vocal segment and you sing it well. Reminds me a little The Grateful Dead but when your main lead solo kicks in I can some Neil Young influence in your playing. Very good songwriting and I dig all the change ups!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Nelson

This is smokin, BB.
Your guitar work here is to die for.
New toy eh? Sounds great.

Well done

recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

SwanSong

HI Bluesberry wonderful singing and great sound
enjoyed my listen a lot. hats off 2 u for a grt sound
cheers NEIL

Hi Dave, sounds like you're having great fun with the new kit and I think this is one of your best so far. Nicely controlled guitar which can sometimes run wild with a load of power applied. Bravo..........Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Ferryman_1957

Hi Dave, really loving all the varied tones and sounds here, you made fantastic use of the Zoom pedal. I've just been listening to Rush's most recent 3 albums then have had this looping for a while and I kind of forgot I wasn't listening to Rush :-) A nice proggy feel to the track and it all blends together really well. Great to hear you still producing these epic tracks.

And as a proponent of Zoom pedals, I have to admit I have spent the past few months putting a pedal board together and won't be using the Zoom on guitar anymore! But I do have the bass version of this pedal and it is also very nice.

Cheers,

Nigel

Tangled Wires

A wonderfully crafted song that's loaded with some devine guitar sounds. That wah and feedback...wow...how good does that sound!!
Your vocal to me is almost unrecognisable from when you first started posting songs on here a few years back, its like you have grown into your voice and the confidence just shines through every time now. No exception here either, I don't think I have heard you sound better than this before.

This is a stunner, be very proud of this one!

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Thanks everyone, it feels good to be getting back into songwriting/recording again after my little work-induced lay-off.  

As for the Zoom pedal sounds I was able to coax out, I was playing around with effects and such, playing out though my Epi Valve Jr amp, and I dialed up a pretty mid-range tone on the amp sim, and added some overdrive, and then I played with an effect called PanEQ, you can apply a specific boost at a narrow frequency, and with the built in pedal you can sweep the frequency.  It sounds a bit like a Wah pedal if you move the pedal a lot, basically thats what a Wah pedal does.  I think I had compression (sustain) in the chain and delay.  With this Zoom pedal you can stack any 6 effects on preset and tweak them very easily.  

So, out of my amp I was getting some nice feedback if I moved the pedal just right for the note being held.  And if I turned my amp up nice and loud I could get it go go crazy.  I wanted to try to record this, but I didn't want to mic the amp (lazy, I know).  So I figured that if I went from Zoom into the BR-80, then went headphones out into my amp.  Crank the amp and stand in front of it and play with the pedal just so.  I was getting feedback out the amp, and it was feeding back through the recorder.  Everything was in the feedbackloop and it recorded it all.  It didn't work if I just had headphones on while recording, I had to be interacting with my amp to get it.

It is probably nothing that this Zoom pedal was doing specifically, just the combination of the effects and the mids boosted at the right frequency, and the loud amp.  ITs just that this Zoom pedal seemed to facilitate the experimentation because its all in one little box, and very easy to tweak on the fly, with the expression pedal and all.  You have to sweep the frequency to find the sweet spot, then when it hits, dial up the guitar volume pot to bring on more gain, and the interaction between pick-ups and speaker all in the loop together, with the recorder also in the loop to capture it.  So in effect I was playing with my amp cranked to 11, but I wasn't recording direct off the amp.  Its kind of like when you have a wah pedal but you just leave it in one spot and certain notes will feedback.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Gave me a Grateful Dead pyschedelic feel at the start when the wah started wigging out. Great songwriting, great playing, and the vocal fits perfectly. Damn this is good, Dave.