Boss RC2 Loop pedal and Micro BR Question

Started by Sjd, February 06, 2009, 01:27:32 PM

Sjd

Hiya

Just picked up an RC2 loop pedal and was hoping to be able to loop my voice using the mic on the BR, but it isn't working  :(

I think the level is too low and the RC2 isn't registering it as an input, when it's set to 'MIC'.

I have the input level and line out volume set to max.

Does anyone have any suggestions  ???

Blooby

I'm not sure I understood the issue. 

I take it you are running a microphone to the loop pedal and then running the output of the loop pedal into the BR. 

Or are you doing something else entirely?

Blooby

Sjd

No.

Sorry, should have explained it better  :-[

I have my guitar plugged directly to line in on the RC2, and RC2 output directly to my amp.

BR is plugged in via the RC2 aux input.

Hope that makes sense.

hewhoiscalledj

Howdy. Having the BR plugged into loopers aux input means that sound would travel from the BR to the looper to the amp. Are you playing sounds out of the BR or trying to record to the BR. If the latter, then you would have to plug the amp (if it has headphone or line level outs) to the BR's input (probably Line)

To loop your voice (and not the guitar) using the looper, you would have to plug the mic into the looper and that to the BR. Its a matter of signal flow. I've never tried that but it sounds intriguing. I might suggest plugging the mic into a PA/mixer and then the PA to the BR. This will give you more headroom on the vocals.

Or, just record your vocal passage onto the BR directly and either use the A/B function or copy and paste as much of your vocal recording one after the other.

Question: how do you like the looper? is it easy to use while playing guitar? like when you play and record a riff, is it easy to have it play back without missing a beat so you can layer a lead part over? i kinda want one too.

Blooby

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on February 06, 2009, 03:21:19 PMQuestion: how do you like the looper? is it easy to use while playing guitar? like when you play and record a riff, is it easy to have it play back without missing a beat so you can layer a lead part over? i kinda want one too.

I have an BOSS RC-20 and while I don't use it all the time, I find it to be a good practice tool.  I recently played solo at a wedding, so it was nice to be able to accompany myself on the fly once in a while for a solo (over live looped chord progressions). 

If I had to do it over again, I would look closely at the Digitech loop pedal as I believe it has more memory and an "undo" feature.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=165

Blooby

Sjd

QuoteHaving the BR plugged into loopers aux input means that sound would travel from the BR to the looper to the amp. Are you playing sounds out of the BR or trying to record to the BR

This is how I have it plugged in, and I wanted to use the MIC on the BR to record loops onto the RC2.

Sorted it now  8)

By reading the manual  ::) I discovered that the RC2 will not record from an AUX input if the main nnput is plugged in. So you have to unplug the Input, in this case my guitar, then I can use the BR's MIC and record live to the RC2, or record what I want on the BR, then transfer that to the RC2  8)

In fact anything that is on the BR can be recorded onto the RC2 and looped and layered  :D

Hours of fun to be had   :D

QuoteQuestion: how do you like the looper? is it easy to use while playing guitar? like when you play and record a riff, is it easy to have it play back without missing a beat so you can layer a lead part over? i kinda want one too.

So far (less than 24hours) I love it. Easy to use once you read the manual and start playing around with it, and great fun. I am using it for chord progressions and then making up some licks on the fly. Excellent practise tool.

I did a lot of research and decide to go for the RC2 as I really like BOSS products, and didn't want to spend a lot to start off with in case I didn't get on with it. The RC20 and Digitech Jamman have a lot more memory capacity and features, but are also more expensive. The Akai Headrush looks tempting as well, but no memory facility. Also the RC2 can be operated from a 9V battery, which makes it highly portable, and one day I'd like to try my hand at a bit of busking, so to me this was an important feature. It takes a bit of getting used to the timing on the loops, but you soon get the hang of it, and it is amazing fun.

I didn't want a lot of memory, as I figure for pre recorded backing tracks, then I can use the BR for that :)

Have a look on Youtube, some interesting videos on there.

Get one, you won't regret it ;)

Bluesberry

I have a Boss RC2 and I love mine.  I never thought of combining the RC2 with the MBR, interesting.  I will have to play with that.  I use mine to jam with, set up drums loop, put bass loop in, guitar chords loop, then play over the top for hours some nights.  It keeps perfect time, it never gets bored keeping the groove going, doesn't stop for smoke or bathroom, and doesn't drink all my beer.  It is one great pedal for the money for sure.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Sjd