drivers/usb/software

Started by rook, February 02, 2009, 04:45:03 PM

rook

I just picked up my micro br and I have some questions:
1. do you need a specific usb cable to connect to your pc?
----(didn't come with one)
2. do you need any drivers to be downloaded?
-----(didn't come with any cd)
3. do you need any software?
4. can I just put in my sd card into a thumb drive ?

64Guitars

Quote from: rook on February 02, 2009, 04:45:03 PMI just picked up my micro br and I have some questions:
1. do you need a specific usb cable to connect to your pc?
----(didn't come with one)

You just need a standard USB cable with the usual type A plug on the computer end and a mini B plug on the Micro BR end. Here's an example, and here's a picture of the plugs.

Quote2. do you need any drivers to be downloaded?

The Micro BR uses the standard USB mass storage device driver which is already built into Windows Vista/XP/2000/Me, Mac OS 9.1x, OS 9.2x, and OS X, and Linux, so you don't need to install any additional drivers. If you're using Windows 98, you can download a free USB mass storage device driver here:

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

Quote3. do you need any software?

You don't need any software, but there are several free programs that I'd highly recommend.

You could also consider Tommy's Micro BR Drum Pattern Arranger, although it's not free - it's shareware. You can download it and try it for 30 days but, if you want to continue using it, you're supposed to pay £20.

A free alternative is Roland's BR Drum Editor. It's an excellent program. Unfortunately, it's not compatible with the Micro BR. However, you can use it on your computer to create drum patterns and arrangements, then record them to the BR from the Line Out jack on your computer's sound card, or record them on the computer to a wave file, then import the wave file into the BR.

Quote4. can I just put in my sd card into a thumb drive ?

By "thumb drive", I assume you mean a USB card reader. Yes, you can put the SD card into a card reader and backup your files or import/export wave files.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

rook

Right on! Thanks for the info and quick reply. You guys are great.

Ferryman_1957

BR Wave Converter and Explorer are really useful bits of software. I just started using them because I got in a real downward spiral with my BR (due to getting some song corruption) and these really helped. I suggest you get them and start using them from day 1.

Cheers,

Nigel