Micro BR recording format

Started by nuno, January 31, 2008, 11:38:56 AM

nuno

Hi everyone. I'm new in this forum and I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the compressed format used by Boss in the BR series. Are they using a proprietary compressing format for the types MT2, LV1 and LV2? I read somewhere that their compression system is called R-DAC.

Pedro

Quote from: nuno on January 31, 2008, 11:38:56 AMHi everyone. I'm new in this forum and I would like to know if anyone knows anything about the compressed format used by Boss in the BR series. Are they using a proprietary compressing format for the types MT2, LV1 and LV2? I read somewhere that their compression system is called R-DAC.

Welcome Nuno!

Good thread, thats an interesting question. I know nothing about the format.
All I know is that it is a well achieved compressed format, the sound quality to compression ratio is great.
Maybe 64Guitars could help on this one.

64Guitars

Yes, the BR series recorders use a proprietary compression format known as RDAC (Roland Digital Audio Coding).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Pedro

The LV2 quality setting is in my opinion is a little too compressed. It distorts quite easily on the high frequencies.