Music Videos - discuss... generally :-)

Started by AndyR, June 12, 2012, 07:40:24 AM

Ferryman

Speaking as someone who's made a music video, I love 'em. Some of them, ok most of them, are rubbish but some are works of art, just as valid as the music. Remember the ZZ Top videos in the 80s? Great fun, well produced, played up the quirky aspects of the band and really broke them into the very big time. Nothing wrong with any of that IMO.

Music videos are just as much a part of the music as the album cover, the band's website and social media strategy, and the way the band dresses and behaves onstage IMO. Rock/metal/punk etc etc are all about attitude, music is only part of the equation. Now music videos for classical symphonies, that probably is a step too far.....

FWIW, making a music video is kind of fun/weird in equal measures. My band did one in 1983, self-financed, working with a guy that wanted to get into video and film production. It's very odd standing outside miming to your track over tinny monitor speakers and trying to look cool while members of the general public wander past out of shot gawping/making rude gestures depending on how they feel! But the video worked for us. It helped get us gigs at good venues in London and also attracted some record company interest. At the time, we were one of the few bands trying to break through that had a video so that differentiated us. So I'm all in favour!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

now there is a video i'd like to see. do you still have it nigel?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ferryman

I do have the video, it is still on tape but not converted to digital format. If I ever get it converted, I will post it up here. It's not bad, very much of its time though.......

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR