Main Menu

String Trio

Started by jackofall, June 09, 2012, 04:01:16 PM

jackofall

string trio
Time:
0:00
Volume:
 Here's another piece I wrote on Sibelius. The humiliating bit comes from my 18 year old pupil who tells me that I have broken some fundamental harmonic rules in this tune...oh great! I still think it sounds okay....

If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

SE

Sounds a lot more than ok to me, could not do this stuff in a million years, so relaxing, just fantastic.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Gnasty

I don`t hear what your student hears...I hear virtuosity!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

dobrodaddy

This sounds really sweet!  I'd like to know what rules he/she thinks you broke, but I suspect it's the arrogance of youth and the lack of experience to know that musical rules are made to be broken.  Your piece fits together beautifully for me.  It was a treat for my ears!  DD

Thanks for listening!

recorder
Zoom H2

andy casson

Blimey, that is perfect for a sunday morning! I have no idea what your student is talking about, sounded wonderful to me!

andy

jackofall

Many thanks! It's 'illegal' to have consecutive 5ths or consecutive octaves, or 'false relations' or 'exposed 5ths'....the list goes on. I find it almost impossible to get my head round all the rules as I've never been to music college. I've read about them in books and it's like reading advanced mathematics. I'm sure a real composer could improve upon this tune and make it sound better but as Evelyn Glennie said...something like....the woods would be very quiet if only the best birds were allowed to sing.
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand, we'd be so simple, we couldn't...

AndyR

As I was listening I was thinking it's bound to be "consecutive somethings, for starters"...

I use consecutive 3rds and 5ths deliberately, ever since I learnt (er, 30-odd years ago) that you're not meant to use them too often... so I checked out what they sounded like and thought, "hey that's cool, I'll do that then" 8)

Anyway, what does he (she?) know? :D (more than the rest of us, I guess ::))

Nice tunes :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

cuthbert

This is a lovely piece - whether it follows the rules or not. :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

kenny mac

I always think the less musical theory knowledge I know the better as it (in my opinion)restricts you as a writer and lets you go into unmarked territory,music is music,I dont need no beethoven to tell me what I can and  cant write,,,,,,Id rather take advice from john lydon lol

kenny mac

And the piece is lovely and enchanting so there you go,nice one.