GTR Vs MP3 Volume

Started by Bounty001, January 25, 2009, 07:21:49 AM

Bounty001

Hi,

This is my second post on this one, as I've hit the same problem but can't resolve it.

I want to reduce the volume of the MP3 compared to the volume of my guitar. I use two guitars, one single-coil and one humbucker. I have the sensitivity set to max and the input set to max. I set the MP3 playing and press utility to access the MP3 utilities. From here I can adjust the master volume, but not the volume of the MP3. I'm sure I sorted this last time, but I can't remember how. Grrr.

Glenn Mitchell

I found that too. Some MP3's are just loud.
Try using an effect that has a boost to it or add a volume device in line.
(EG an EQ with volume control)
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Bounty001

Thanks Glenn, but it's the MP3s on my memory card i'm having trouble with. I can use an effect with some drive (which is louder) but it seems weird that the volume of the playing MP3 can't be adjusted. Or can it?

64Guitars

If you import the MP3 to a pair of tracks, you can control the volume of it relative to your guitar via the track level. See pages 113 and 114 of the Micro BR manual, 3rd edition.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bounty001

Hi 64Guitars,

I don't think I've made myself clear. I have a number of MP3s loaded into the Br, which I play along to. I intend to record onto the MP3 backing track at some point. I realise at this point I can change a number of parameters prior to mastering. But, all I want to do at the mo is play along to the MP3s without them drowning out my guitar. I would have thought there would be an easy way of controlling the volume, as there is for master volume and rythmn volume.

That said, I didn't realise there was several versions of the manual. Either way, neither tell me how to solve my problem.  :'(

BossMicroBRew

Don't mean to barge my way in in here :P, and I may be wrong, but...  I think while you are in mp3 mode, the BR acts like a regular mp3 player. Sure you can plug your guitar in and play along but the individual volume adjustments won't necessarily be as friendly or available. I'd say these are the two quickest options...

1. play through a pedal in front of the BR and up the output volume (like M_Glenn sugg.)

2. import the mp3 to only 1 track (i do this sometimes, not recommended for recording though, but its quick and offers your volume options)

If there's another route, though, I'd sure like to know too.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Glenn Mitchell

I'm in a band and have all the MP3's of the original songs that I use to play along with for practice so I believe I do know what you mean about volume.
(It's great to be able to slow it down for working out the solos).

If you don't have too many, I agree that the above #2 method is the best way to get the most control-- import the mp3 - seeing as you are going to add to it anyway.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

dragonshade

Ok... why not get away from the MP3 function entirely for what you want to do? Make the file workable.... transfer it into 2 tracks. Then you can listen, play with, adjust all track volumes (which is the balancing you need), and record, or do multiple takes over and over. With the MP3 function you get next to nothing.