BR-600 discussion

Started by hardlock, January 24, 2009, 05:49:07 PM

hardlock

Thought I'd start a new thread on this as the one comparing the MBR and 600 was getting old and lengthly (good info however):

http://microrecorders.org/community/general-discussion-b6/micro-br-vs-br-600/0/

I started with the MBR and now have the BR-600 as well. 

First thing I noticed is that there is no output level for the 600.  This causes you to need either monitors or headphones with a volume control as you need to use the master fader to control the level of mix-downs and it may be too high for safe listening.  (or am I missing something here?)

Since I don't have either handy, I just plug in my MBR from the 600 headphone out, adjust the MBR output for my headphones and problem solved. 

This also makes for a nice setup if I want to use the effects of the 600 but record on the MBR for a quick MP3.  I can also use the MBR for the final mix from the 600.

Now for a question: 

I tried to record some vocals w/effects and then process with the pitch correction function.  I understand that this can only be applied after a track is recorded and when bounced or mastered. 

It seems however that the original stereo track and it's effects gets turned into a mono track w/o the effect when the pitch correction is used. 

In other words, are the standard effects when used during recording actually mixed and saved with the recorded track or just always linked through them when the track is played? 

Hard to explain but they seem to work different somehow then the MBR effects that I'm used to.
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

64Guitars

Quote from: hardlock on January 24, 2009, 05:49:07 PMFirst thing I noticed is that there is no output level for the 600.  This causes you to need either monitors or headphones with a volume control as you need to use the master fader to control the level of mix-downs and it may be too high for safe listening.  (or am I missing something here?)

The Master fader controls the recording level in bounce mode and mastering mode only. The rest of the time, it's perfectly okay to use it as a headphone level control as it has no effect on recording. The reason is that in bounce mode and mastering mode, the mixer is located between the source tracks and the destination tracks, so the faders, pan, EQ, and loop effects affect the destination recording. But in normal record mode, the mixer comes after the recording tracks and its output is not routed to any other tracks, so the mixer's faders, pan, EQ, and loop effects have no effect on the recording in normal record mode. In other words, in normal record mode, you're recording from the input. In bounce mode and mastering mode, you're recording from the mixer's output.

QuoteSince I don't have either handy, I just plug in my MBR from the 600 headphone out, adjust the MBR output for my headphones and problem solved.

That'll work, although I'd run a cable from the 600's Line Out to the Micro BR's Line In. Also, you have to make sure you turn off the Micro BR's insert effects and reverb.

Another option is to get a separate headphone amp. These usually have several headphone jacks, each with their own level control.

QuoteI tried to record some vocals w/effects and then process with the pitch correction function.  I understand that this can only be applied after a track is recorded and when bounced or mastered. 

It seems however that the original stereo track and it's effects gets turned into a mono track w/o the effect when the pitch correction is used. 

In other words, are the standard effects when used during recording actually mixed and saved with the recorded track or just always linked through them when the track is played?

I suspect that you specified only a single track for either the source or the destination when doing the pitch correction. If you specify a pair of tracks for both, then it should remain in stereo. In step 4 on page 124 of the BR-600 manual, it shows the location as Track 1. If you keep turning the TIME/VALUE wheel clockwise, you'll eventually get to Track 12, then 34, 56, and 78. These are the stereo pairs. You should select whichever stereo pair your vocal tracks are on. Likewise, in step 10 on page 124, you need to select one of the stereo pairs (12, 34, 56, or 78) as the destination tracks for the pitch-corrected vocals.

Insert effects are recorded to the track. However, loop effects (reverb and chorus/delay/doubling) are not recorded in normal record mode because they are in the mixer which, as I said above, comes after the record tracks. But in bounce mode or mastering mode, the mixer comes before the destination tracks, so the loop effects are recorded.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

hardlock

Wow, very good explanations.  Thanks so much for these!  Can tell this unit will take some getting used to but I can see the potentual of the 600s processing much better now.   8)

Mine came w/o a manual so it's a pain to keep accessing the PDF file in a different room.  :-[   Guess I'd better bite the bullet and print it out for study.  :P
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:

My Collaborations:

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

64Guitars

Quote from: hardlock on January 24, 2009, 08:04:24 PMMine came w/o a manual so it's a pain to keep accessing the PDF file in a different room.  :-[   Guess I'd better bite the bullet and print it out for study.  :P

Did you buy it used? If not, you should have received a printed manual with it. Maybe you should phone Roland and see if they'll send you one. A properly printed and bound manual is a lot more convenient to use than a bunch of loose pages that you printed from the pdf file. Even if you bought your BR used, you might be able to buy a printed manual from Roland.

One nice thing about the pdf manual is that it's easy to search. But a printed and bound manual can be read in bed, or on the throne.  :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

hardlock

Here's a question I can't find an answer for.  I see I can use a Boss expression pedal for the wah feature which is really cool!  Also for volume

They want a lot of money for it however and being a tech, I can make one up for little to no cost. 

I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere for it however.  I know it has a pot wired to a stereo plug so not too many possible combinations but knowing what the pot rating is would be a big help also if anyone has a clue.  ???

Thanks!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:

My Collaborations:

guitarron

Quote from: hardlock on January 24, 2009, 05:49:07 PMI started with the MBR and now have the BR-600 as well. 

Since I don't have either handy, I just plug in my MBR from the 600 headphone out, adjust the MBR output for my headphones and problem solved. 

This also makes for a nice setup if I want to use the effects of the 600 but record on the MBR for a quick MP3.  I can also use the MBR for the final mix from the 600.

I have both as well- i'll have try this
I havent used the pitch correction much-
i pretty much just suffer thru with using headphones

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 24, 2009, 07:05:59 PMThe Master fader controls the recording level in bounce mode and mastering mode only.

that has messed up a few bounces and master attempts here

you get use to setting the master for a "comfort" level during tracking

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 24, 2009, 09:30:36 PMOne nice thing about the pdf manual is that it's easy to search. But a printed and bound manual can be read in bed, or on the throne.  :)

http://www.bossus.com/support/
for the pdf

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: hardlock on February 09, 2009, 11:20:52 PMHere's a question I can't find an answer for.  I see I can use a Boss expression pedal for the wah feature which is really cool!  Also for volume

They want a lot of money for it however and being a tech, I can make one up for little to no cost.  

I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere for it however.  I know it has a pot wired to a stereo plug so not too many possible combinations but knowing what the pot rating is would be a big help also if anyone has a clue.  ???

Found this at midiguitar.net:

Also, less expensive pedals than the EV-5 are available. However, they often have the wrong polarity. This is easily rectified by making a simple adapter cable that reverses the tip and ring connections.

http://www.ashbysolutions.com/music/misc.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=322584

http://barrysmixedreviews.blogspot.com/2008/09/barrys-mixed-reviews-yamaha-fc7_313.html

You can get a Yamaha FC7 for $37.99 at Sweetwater. It will need its polarity reversed but should work just fine. You might be able to use the Behringer FCV100 which is only $24.99 at Musician's Friend, but I'm not certain. I suspect that both pedals are made of plastic like the Roland EV-5. If you can scrounge an old burnt-out wah-wah pedal and rewire it as an EV-5, that would probably be better as the wahs usually have very sturdy cast metal cases.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

hardlock

Perfect!  Just what the doctor ordered!  I'm surprised that it has multiple pots in it. 

I do remember a knob on the side for centering I believe but thought it was mechanical to the pot itself for physically moving it.  Must be the second pot I think now.  Interesting - fine tuning maybe?

Thanks so much for digging this up for me.  ;D ;D ;D

Now if I can just figure out how to turn the 600 into a vocoder so I can fake some vocals.......... ::)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:

My Collaborations: