Mp3 to WAV Converting

Started by Roytoy, April 24, 2012, 05:37:42 PM

Tootler

I use ffmpeg. It's free, you can specify your output very precisely and it wil convert just about any thing, video as well but it's a command line tool so not to everybody's taste.

There is a GUI available called Winff which is worth checking out.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-006
recorder
Audacity

Speed Demon

Hello, Tootler,

I read your piece on converting MP3 files to WAV format.
You should know that there is nothing good to be gained by doing that. The problem being that MP3 files introduce a timing issue that does not occur when a file is initially saved in WAV format. When an MP3 file is converted to WAV, that timing issue does not go away.

When recording, all my files are saved in WAV format and remain in that format until I do a final mixdown. Only then do I save in WAV and MP3 format. This reduces the timing issue to one file instead of in several of them. Saves a lot of editing time fixing the differences.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Tootler

Quote from: Speed Demon on September 13, 2013, 03:59:48 AMHello, Tootler,

I read your piece on converting MP3 files to WAV format.
You should know that there is nothing good to be gained by doing that. The problem being that MP3 files introduce a timing issue that does not occur when a file is initially saved in WAV format. When an MP3 file is converted to WAV, that timing issue does not go away.

I think you are mixing me up with others who have commented on the OP's request. All I did was suggest a tool the OP might use. I didn't comment one way or the other about the desirability of converting .mp3 --> .wav.

I appreciate this is three months on but I haven't been looking in on this forum much for a while so I missed your comment at the time.

FWIW, I agree with you. Converting mp3 to wav is not generally a good idea and it's not something I do myself. However, the OP seemed to have his reasons and was asking for help to do it.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-006
recorder
Audacity

Mike Huntingford

I use a suite of programs from AVS4You.com

http://www.avs4you.com/

You get loads of programs.  I also use the audio editor for my music final mixing.

Mike
Mike Huntingford

recorder
Reaper