'When Spring Comes to the Forest' - Under2fest Original by Greeny

Started by Greeny, March 29, 2012, 02:15:22 AM

Gnasty

Wow nice one!! People think these apps are cheating but if you play it yourself you`ll
tend to learn that is not the case and you really have to play within to get the sounds you want.
You played this incredibly good. What a vibe and the vocal delivery gives it that eerie edge.
Love this intro song and love this fest!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Greeny

Quote from: Gnasty on March 29, 2012, 08:09:15 AMPeople think these apps are cheating but if you play it yourself you`ll
tend to learn that is not the case and you really have to play within to get the sounds you want.

Totally agree. I know that using your thumbs is 50,000 times easier than learning to play a cello etc from scratch, but you're still choosing (and playing) the notes - not to mention using your imagination / musical instincts to get where you want. It's actually teaching me a lot about how different notes and scales work together and how to arrange musical harmonies etc. It's just an extension of everything I've learned with the MBR and from all you fine and talented folks.

Apart from the stunningly 'real' and organic samples you get on Thumbjam, the thing that I like is how each instrument needs a different technique to make it sound more authentic. Different runs and roll-offs etc.

I was doing a 1930's Berlin Kurt Weill type thing with it last night. It was so exciting that I thought I wouldn't sleep! Plucked double bass, trombone and cello.

An orchestra in your pocket. If that's cheating, I'll live with it! lol

64Guitars

Quote from: Greeny on March 29, 2012, 09:10:33 AMI know that using your thumbs is 50,000 times easier than learning to play a cello etc from scratch, but you're still choosing (and playing) the notes - not to mention using your imagination / musical instincts to get where you want.

I agree. As long as you're choosing each note and actually playing them, it's a valid musical instrument. But apps that trigger an entire phrase at the push of a button cross the line. That's just playing someone else's recordings. If I put a Led Zeppelin CD in my CD player and press the Play button, that doesn't make me Jimmy Page. And triggering a recording of a phrase played by someone else doesn't make me a musician. Worse still is when people download loops and string them together in GarageBand or some similar app. Then you're just editing someone else's music.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Tony W

As much as I don't want to like these apps, this IS pretty frickin' cool.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

lg

I am GREEN with envy Tim!
I wish I had that app you use, but I can't find it....
Anywho, this is simply spectacular, It is eerie and your vox is SO different,
did you use something to change it, or were you simply singing way low?
Piepod to loop for a while until I get it into my brain!

LG

or is that until I get it out of my brain? .... LOL
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Gritter

song sounds so sinister so surreal so sensational...seriously something special. some surely say spectacular.

Blooby

Rata-tat-tat

Hey Tim ... Just getting to this one. Of course you know I need no convincing on the power of the Thumb Jam... LOL. I'm really floors at how you were able to combine all of the cellos to make them sound so hauntingly beautiful. I'm sure this took you more than one take. I absolutely love this one. Smashing stuff bro.
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.