sweet misery by jemima's kite.

Started by Oldrottenhead, January 22, 2009, 05:32:10 AM

Ferryman_1957

Question for you guys - are there strings on this? I'm hearing strings in the chorus. If there aren't, you've done a great job to make me think there are. If there are, what did you use?

Cheers,

Nigel

Greeny

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on February 20, 2009, 06:27:44 AMQuestion for you guys - are there strings on this? I'm hearing strings in the chorus. If there aren't, you've done a great job to make me think there are. If there are, what did you use?

Cheers,

Nigel

No strings, just a load of vocal harmonies and guitar!  :)

Flash added some piano too.

It's the kind of song that begs for strings though - I always have that kind of arrangement in my head, and even though I could add a poor approximation of strings on a keyboard, it's not the same as a proper string section.

Flash Harry

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on February 20, 2009, 06:27:44 AMQuestion for you guys - are there strings on this? I'm hearing strings in the chorus. If there aren't, you've done a great job to make me think there are. If there are, what did you use?

Cheers,

Nigel
Nigel,

I'm not sure, I may have put some synth strings in. I really can't remember. Tim's workrate is so high I can't even remember all the tunes we've done.

If there are, they will be from my Yamaha Clavinova. It's the only synth I have. I wanted weighted keys. The Yamaha was the best feel I could find. The XG stuff is OK as far as it goes.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

... maybe you DID put some on then. Who knows?!  :D

Flash Harry

Quote from: Greeny on February 20, 2009, 06:38:36 AM... maybe you DID put some on then. Who knows?!  :D

ORH will know. He mixed it. Mind you.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman_1957

Quote from: Flash Harry on February 20, 2009, 06:40:06 AMORH will know. He mixed it. Mind you.....

.....he's forgotten more than he knows?  :)

I'll believe there are some - I can definitely here a nice string line in the chorus. Works really well, lovely song. And still loving the dwarf pics.

Cheers,

Nigel

Oldrottenhead

QuoteORH will know. He mixed it. Mind you.....
a cannea mind whit day o the week it is. this was the very first j kite song and i honestly cant remember what went into it.  i know that a few songs used up the 32 tracks on my microbr and like mike i have lost track, i recall putting a sitar on one song but bugger me if i can remember which one lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman_1957

Oldrottenhead

naw i think it was on ladybird, i dont think there are any string keys on this one i think its an effect caused by the harmonics between all the instruments in the mix. i think i recall mixing the keys in seperately and putting lots of effects in to get a john lennon imagine type feel to them, so there are lots of tap delays reverb and echos going on with the piano.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman_1957

OK, that could be it. It's the chorus "sweet misery" harmonies and I wondered if the rich production is making me hear a string line. It's just going round in the headphones at the moment. No strings on Filthy Animal that just kicked in. Except five rusty ones on each guitar....

Cheers,

Nigel