Artificially aged guitars... what do you think?

Started by Greeny, January 21, 2009, 05:22:33 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: forte8 on January 23, 2009, 03:59:26 AMAlso I have a real problem with signiture Guitars. Its great to buy a guitar that benifits from a particular artists set up and feel, but I am not sure I would want the artists name on it I would feel a bit of a fraud

I feel the same way about signature guitars. And have you noticed that you seldom see the artist playing his own signature guitar? Maybe a few publicity shots to fulfill the contract but then they switch to some other guitar. If their signature model isn't good enough for them, why should I pay a ridiculously inflated price for it?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

steveblues50

i think "aged" guitars are cool enough as art but i take very good care of my guitars and just don't see the point in buying a new guitar preaged ,no problem if it were a sweet sounding naturally beat up old git tho.artist models are lame BUT i probably could be talked into buying one of those buddy guy polka dot fenders.

guitarron

Quote from: steveblues50 on January 24, 2009, 04:20:22 AMi think "aged" guitars are cool enough as art but i take very good care of my guitars and just don't see the point in buying a new guitar preaged

yes very well crafted

i agree about the signature models, although i like the clapton model's v neck and lace sensor p-ups

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

beleg

Wiley

I should post a picture of my bass guitar.  It is naturally aged. Bought in the middles 70's.  A gibson Les Paul bass.   Have only ever seen 2 other guitars like it.  List price was $899 way back then.  Wonder what it's worth now.

Wiley

Flash Harry

I like my guitars to look pristine. I dinged my black Godin and was gutted. I had to take it to my guitar tech to have it repaired. the ding is hardly noticable but I know it's there and it bothers me.

I bought a cheapo strat copy to take to rehearsals to prevent a repeat of the ding on my Godin. I haven't put a mark on it.

I have a really nice Aria bass which has a few marks, but because it has a natural finish it's not noticable.

I dropped my son's bass on the road on the way to a practice session, carrying too much stuff, and took a great chunk out of it. I was horrified. My son thought it had just 'come of age' and was taking on a bit of character.

They have to be beautiful and be a joy to play.

My wife says that she wished that I was as careful with the car.....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

henwrench

it's like them shitty jeans you can buy.... I mean if I cover them in oil/burns/sperm/blood then cool, but I don't want someone else doin' for me.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

bannybassman

I agree with most of the guys here, artificially aged guitars seem a fairly stupid concept to me. If you want your guitar to look aged you should at least have the pleasure of battering it about yourself!
"A guitarist spends half his life tuning, and the other half playing out of tune"

Glenn Mitchell

I think it's a poser market but I did try a $1000 "vintage" strat that was really nice to play.
In the end I got a pristine 92 Korean strat that I think is just as nice for half the cost.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks