Amp, preamp, or straight in?

Started by dragonshade, January 20, 2009, 08:21:45 AM

dragonshade

Thought I put this forward also...

What is everyone doing with their MBR...

...... do you plug straight in? Use a preamp? etc.??

So far I have only plugged straight in and used the MBR's amp modeling. Can I even plug an amp straight in?? I use a Roland Cube60 and it does have a line/headphone out but I have been worried about smoking my MBR with too high an input (the manual makes no mention of running an amp into the MBR, just shows a guitar directly connected) so I've been a touch concerned..... can I damage it by doing this?

I've heard some great sounds here, and it seems some of the best sounding use a pre-amp into the MBR. What do you do?

Greeny

Everything I do is straight into the BR, and I haven't even got as far as tweaking the internal amp settings. I'm very happy with what's there and what I get from it, so haven't delved any further.

I'm not as 'technically minded' as some people on here, so I'm not sure about going through an amp / pre-amp. Someone else will know though  :)

Bluesberry

I typically plug my guitar straight in.  So far I have found the onboard effects perfect for my ears.  I usually tweek the settings though.  I find one I like to start, then I always go in and fine tune (turn down the gain, turn effects off or on, etc).  I really like the Boss effects in this little machine.  You can also drive from line out or headphone out into the line in or guitar in.  I have a Fender GDec amp that I go from headphones out on the GDec to Guitar in in the MicroBR (I find guitar in works better than line in for some reason), make sure the Micro Br is on a clean setting with no effects and away you go.  I have played around like this but I have not really recorded this way yet because I can get the sound I want by tweeking the onboard effects.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Glenn Mitchell

I do like to use a bit of wah now and then
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

hooper

I have a Roland Cube 60 also.  What a tone machine!

Yeah, it's so easy to just go direct-in to the M-BR and that's great for some (most?) situations. But also try this: Use the on-board mic on the M-BR to mic the Cube 60 cabinet.  Set it up about 3ft in front of the speaker and adjust the Sensitivity.  Set the mic further away in the room if you're gonna want that particular guitar part to sound further back in the mix. I think that ForNylon (with the default Delay turned OFF and Noise Supressor turned ON) effect is a good place to start and you can make adjustments from there and then save as your own user presets.

Try it and I bet you'll like it!   ;)   

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
These days I merely dabble at being old and wise.
But I swear, I used to absolutely excel at being young and stupid.

Greeny

Quote from: hooper on January 21, 2009, 09:07:52 AMI have a Roland Cube 60 also.  What a tone machine!

Yeah, it's so easy to just go direct-in to the M-BR and that's great for some (most?) situations. But also try this: Use the on-board mic on the M-BR to mic the Cube 60 cabinet.  Set it up about 3ft in front of the speaker and adjust the Sensitivity.  Set the mic further away in the room if you're gonna want that particular guitar part to sound further back in the mix. I think that ForNylon (with the default Delay turned OFF and Noise Supressor turned ON) effect is a good place to start and you can make adjustments from there and then save as your own user presets.

Try it and I bet you'll like it!   ;)   

Listen to this man... he knows what he's talking about!!!!  :)

dragonshade

Awesome.... thank you everyone.

I would have NEVER thought to mike the Cube. I will try it.... just wasn't too sure about this tiny onboard mike in the BR for quailty.

So what I'm reading yes I can plug my headphone out from the Cube into the MBR.... into both line in, and also the guitar jack (I would likely use the guitar jack).

Up til now my Cube has been sitting unused (since I got my MBR).