got a question about 'bouce'

Started by Guitar-Maniac, January 20, 2009, 06:43:34 AM

Guitar-Maniac

so heres the thing i sorta know how to do it but,
i dont understand what the (1,2,3,4 and 12,34 ) does.

also, do i lose sound quality if i bouce all tracks in to 1 v track?

1 more question, should i record the drum in 'bouce' mode, or record it while mastering.

Thanks, sorry for so many questions!
Heavy Metal all the WAY!
Oh yea... bodybuilding too :D

tkofaith

Quote from: Guitar-Maniac on January 20, 2009, 06:43:34 AMso heres the thing i sorta know how to do it but,
i dont understand what the (1,2,3,4 and 12,34 ) does.

The 1,2,3,4 represent the four primary mono tracks.  Each of these has 4 virtual tracks 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4.  The 12,34, represent stereo tracks 1&2, and 3&4.  These behave similarly to the mono tracks (12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 12-4) except that they fill virtual tracks on each of the two channels.

When you bounce, I'm pretty sure that you can only bounce to stereo, so 2 V-tracks would be used.  This operation will not reduce sound quality no matter how many times you do it.

The drum track should be recorded during the bounce, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm sure someone wiser than I will be able to confirm or disavow my answers.

Cheers,

Tim
Cheers!

Tim

"Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present.
It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance.  It has always found
me, and with God's blessing and permission, it always will."
--Eric Clapton

I concur with Tim. I remember reading another post elsewhere regarding someone frustrated when he was recording his rythm guitar track and had the drums going in the background, however when he played it back all he heard was the guitar. The drums will be heard on the track after doing the 'bounce' mode procedure. Hope this helps. I 'm new to this site but looking for answers myself. Though the MBR is extremely versatile and sounds great-it is also very complex and hard to understand.
good luck!
Wafedawg

Guitar-Maniac

ermm ok lets say i got  8 different 'instrument' recorded, and i made each one stereo by using both tracks ( Tr1 = Tr2 and Tr3 = Tr4, so this would be 2 instrument ).

how would i fit in my other 6 instrument, is it possible to bounce em all? also, should bounce them using 'mono' since its alrdy recorded in stereo.

Thanks for help.
Heavy Metal all the WAY!

tkofaith

Quote from: Guitar-Maniac on January 20, 2009, 08:47:08 AMermm ok lets say i got  8 different 'instrument' recorded, and i made each one stereo by using both tracks ( Tr1 = Tr2 and Tr3 = Tr4, so this would be 2 instrument ).

how would i fit in my other 6 instrument, is it possible to bounce em all? also, should bounce them using 'mono' since its alrdy recorded in stereo.

Thanks for help.

If I understand your question....

When you record each instrument in stereo they would be saved in virtual tracks.  So....say your first two stereo tracks are 12v1, 34v1...you could bounce those tracks to 12v8 (You don't want to bounce stereo to mono under most circumstances).  You then can playback your bounced tracks (12v8) while recording 34v2 (your next instrument. You could continue this process of bouncing stereo pairs until you have all of your instruments recorded.  I'm sure that there are other ways of doing this, but this seems the most logical to me.

Cheers,

Tim
Cheers!

Tim

--Eric Clapton

Guitar-Maniac

Heavy Metal all the WAY!

64Guitars

Quote from: tkofaith on January 20, 2009, 07:38:24 AMThe 1,2,3,4 represent the four primary mono tracks.  Each of these has 4 virtual tracks 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4.  The 12,34, represent stereo tracks 1&2, and 3&4.  These behave similarly to the mono tracks (12-1, 12-2, 12-3, 12-4) except that they fill virtual tracks on each of the two channels.

Close, but not quite right. There are 8 v-tracks per track, not 4. V-tracks can be confusing to many users. I like to think of the Micro BR as a 32 track recorder with a built-in 4-channel mixer. The 32 tracks are divided into 4 groups of 8 tracks, with one group per mixer channel. The "v-track" is merely the currently-selected track for a mixer channel from its group of 8. In a new song, v-track 1 is selected by default on each mixer channel. After you've recorded the four 'v-track 1' tracks, you'll want to bounce them to another pair of v-tracks so that you can continue recording more tracks. When you bounce, it records the mixer output (the stereo mix of the four currently-selected v-tracks) to a track or pair of tracks which you must specify. If you select TR1, TR2, TR3, or TR4 as the destination, the 2 channels of the mixer output (left and right) will be blended together into a monophonic signal which will be recorded to the single track you selected. This is usually not desirable as you won't be able to pan the four individual tracks in the stereo panorama. Instead, you should select TR12 or TR34 which selects a pair of tracks, with the left channel of the mix going to the currently-selected v-track of TR1 (or TR3) and the right channel of the mix going to the currently-selected v-track of TR2 (or TR4).

Regardless of which track or pair of tracks you select as the bounce destination, you must also specify the v-track. Many users simply select the next empty v-track. So, if you recorded to v-track 1 (the default) of all four tracks, then you might select Tracks 1&2, v-track 2 (Tr12v2) as the destination. After the bounce, the BR will automatically adjust the currently-selected v-track for each mixer channel (TRx). Tracks 1 and 2 will be set to v-track 2 as that was the bounce destination. And tracks 3 and 4 will be set to the next empty v-track which, in this case, is also v-track 2. Now you can record something else to tracks 3 and 4 (v-track 2) while monitoring the mix on tracks 1 and 2 (v-track 2).

For more on v-tracks and bouncing, see this page:

http://www.geocities.com/sixtyfourguitars/BossBr/Tutorials/V-Tracks_and_Bouncing.html

QuoteWhen you bounce, I'm pretty sure that you can only bounce to stereo, so 2 V-tracks would be used.

As I said above, you can choose a single mono track or a stereo pair as the bounce destination, but you should almost always choose a stereo pair. One exception might be if you plan to export all of your tracks to individual wave files and do your final mix on your computer in Audacity or some other DAW. In that case, the results of your bounces will only be used for monitoring the mix while recording more tracks. You won't actually use the results of the bounces in your final mix since the DAW can mix all of your individual tracks simultaneously, rather than only four at a time as in the BR. So, it might be adequate to do your bounces in mono, leaving 3 empty tracks for further recording rather than just 2. The single-track mono mix should be adequate for monitoring your previous tracks while you record new ones.

QuoteThe drum track should be recorded during the bounce, if I'm not mistaken.  I'm sure someone wiser than I will be able to confirm or disavow my answers.

While you can include the drum track in a bounce, I wouldn't recommend it. Once the drums are recorded as audio, you can no longer edit the arrangement. So, it's best to exclude the drums from your bounces and only include them during mastering. That way, you're free to edit the arrangement right up till the end. It also allows you to adjust the level of the drums relative to the other tracks right up till the end, as well as the reverb send.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Guitar-Maniac on January 20, 2009, 08:47:08 AMermm ok lets say i got  8 different 'instrument' recorded, and i made each one stereo by using both tracks ( Tr1 = Tr2 and Tr3 = Tr4, so this would be 2 instrument ).

See this message and its attached chart for an excellent example of multitrack recording:

http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/cowgirl-in-the-sand/msg3362/#msg3362

There is also a blank chart which you can print out and use to document your tracks as you record and bounce:

http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/cowgirl-in-the-sand/msg3365/#msg3365

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

tkofaith

:-[Thanks for the corrections 64G.  Just when I think I'm getting a grasp on things I find out I've only scratched the surface!  I bow to the master. ;D
Cheers!

Tim

--Eric Clapton

Guitar-Maniac

got a problem again, when i bouce, the quality of the sound seems to diminish. could it be because i use a pedal?

another question,

so, i've recorded 4 tracks and bounce them to 12v2, now both tr3 and tr4 are free to record, the problem is, where do i bounce these tracks to?
Heavy Metal all the WAY!