do you remember (sober rewrite) by oldrottenhead

Started by Oldrottenhead, February 27, 2012, 12:49:12 PM

Oldrottenhead

do you remember (sober mix) by oldrottenhead
Time:
0:00
Volume:
on saturday i did the music for this,but didn't have time to do a lyric and vocal as i was going  out for a meal and then onto the pub, returning home well oiled at about 1.30am. i pounced on my microbr annd did this https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=14463.0;topicseen next morning headed off to work mbr with me. and i played song and thought  what a duffus. so did a rewrite and rerecorded the vocals.

is probably not any better than original but i was horrified that my beer glasses let me post the drunken version

ok so here is the sober rewrite

do you remember
when it all began
back in the day
it seems so long ago
but in the scheme of things
we're still young at heart
with a skip in our step

do you remember
way back when
we where young
reckless and carefree
all for the now
for the moment
the present
was all that mattered

do you remember
when it all began
back in the day
it seems so long ago
so long ago
so long ago
do you remember
do you remember
written and performed
by
oldrottenhead
on
juno di
and
westfield cheapo strat copy
and
sober voice
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

I only just now got around to listening to the original, and then this version. Songwise, I didn't notice a big difference on first listen, but I think this one's a better recording. The drums and vocals especially come through clearer and sound more dynamic.

Ah, the good old days, eh? I sometimes wonder if opening up the site to non-Boss users was a good idea. There are definitely some good things about it, but I kind of miss the old days when we were all Boss users who came here for the same reasons. We had something in common then. It's just not the same now, though it's improved in other ways.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Oldrottenhead

the first version the second verse was written drunk, the vocal was recorded drunk and the song mastered drunk.

this version is the same music but with the vocal done sober and then the song mastered sober.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hook

I had no problem with the first one, however this is much better mixed and that new vocal is well done! The drums do sound sweeter on this one!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

SE

Same as Hook, enjoyed the first take, but this is mastered much better, still a great song.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Tangled Wires

Cool atmospheric tune Jim, you create some wonderful soundscapes with your Juno. The melody in this song is outstanding, it really draws you in and the melancholy vocal sits perfectly within it.

The good old days on Songcrafters...I remember them ;D

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

Stunning ........

So lush !! The track is like melted chocolate!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Pine

Better mastering but the first version caught the lyrical mood better in some ways.

The phrasing on the first one was akin to the way one's thoughts focus and then blur when we're toasted.
V1 had spontaneity dripping from it...and the emotion, along with the arrangement, made me a bit uncomfortable.
I liked that. V2 is less disturbing, smoother and sorta..um...pasteurized  ;)..but still a creative litle gem.

Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Oldrottenhead

i cant listen to v1 the lyric

"fast and bulbous
just back from the pub
happy and full
ready for bed"

are among my worst lyrics ever, and even the 1st lines is stolen from the good captain, the other 3 lines tho where true at the time of writing. lol.

oh and i am also trying in this version to sing in character,

of a sad and bitter  old sack that harks back for the guid auld days
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Pine

i've never known being drunk to make anybody smarter...sure as hell not me

That's what i meant about the spontaneity...the lyrics reflected your condition

You captured the meloncholy old sack quite well i thought.

8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200