sync arpegiator sync

Started by wooperman, January 19, 2009, 07:26:07 PM

wooperman

I'm pretty sure I know this, but if I am wrong, please share.
 Is there no USB applications for syncing the Micro BR with a synth. I dont care if it's full midi, or master or slave, but just a simple sync would be nice for adding perfectly synced synth lines.

Thats not currently available correct?

64Guitars

It's not possible with a Micro BR because it lacks midi and the USB implementation is as a storage device only. However, the BR-600, BR-900CD, etc. have midi out and can sync with other midi devices, with the BR serving as master. I frequently sync my BR-864 with my Yamaha keyboard to take advantage of its 16-channel sequencer.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

wooperman

..but I don't wanna buy a br-600  :'( !!

Oldrottenhead

you could always transfer the tracks into cubase or a similar daw and sync your synth with that
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

wooperman

I have some LE version of cubase, but I didnt think of that. So it can sync midi automatically to the audio (assuming it's all on the one [count])? Or will there be some work on my part of cutting and sliding every few measures to make sure a sequence or arp line is falling in place ?
 As you can see I have not messed with computer recording much, thats why I went to the micro, simplifying.
I guess my direct follow-up question is  - is there a specific name for that type of syncing or is it just a tweak I need to create on my own?
I dont understand why 120.0 BPM is different. But sure enough, you can have several bits of gear set to the same BPM and start at the same time and they drift out of sync. I guess it's the number to the far right of the decimal point that make the difference between rock solid and sand bar (ha, I made a funny).

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on January 20, 2009, 03:34:58 AMyou could always transfer the tracks into cubase or a similar daw and sync your synth with that

Good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Of course, if you haven't already got one, you'll need to get a midi interface for your computer. Then you can connect the Midi Out from the computer to the Midi In of your synth and setup cubase to be the midi master and the synth as midi slave (external clock). For more info on syncing cubase, see this article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun04/articles/cubasenotes.htm

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

wooperman

64 G's,
 Will this be a success because the Micro BR is already set up on the measure count/BPM system (that you'd just punch in as tempo info for the DAW), or do programs like cubase have a way of intelligently syncing to a track?
Thanks for any help, so bizzy I can't experiment with these bits right now. Looking for a shortcut here and there.

64Guitars

Midi sync does a couple of things. First, it synchronizes the transport controls. So, when you press Play in cubase, the synth will also enter play mode immediately. It's the same with Record. If the synth has a built-in midi sequencer and you set it to record, then as soon as you press Play in cubase, the synth's sequencer will begin recording everything you play. And you'll be able to monitor the cubase tracks in real time while you're recording to the synth's sequencer. When you press Stop in cubase, both devices will stop. When you zero the counter in cubase, the synth's sequencer will also reset to zero. If you the press Play, the cubase tracks and the synth's sequencer track will start playing at exactly the same time.

The other thing that midi sync does is to use a single clock to control two devices. So, rather than use its own internal clock, the synth will use cubase's clock and whatever tempo you set in cubase will be the exact tempo of the synth.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

wooperman

I have a decent handle on that sync info you just laid. But without sync on the Micro BR, one can't perform these tasks...I mean you drop Micro's tracks the in on the 1 (first measure, and Micro and Cubase agree where the one is, and you set the
Cubase BPM to the same BPM as on your micro track) and if it  all sync's up it's good.
 In the past, this has not worked for me on other devices, maybe time has finally been standardized through-out the universe, but back in the 80-90's BPM were slightly different from one machine to the next. (I think thats why they added the decimal point.
 (sorry, I feel like I'm confusing the situation, just let me sit here in a pool of my own stoopidity if need be.)
 I wont know until I try it myself.
These forums are great but give me a terrible case of logorrhea.

64Guitars

Perhaps I've made an incorrect assumption about what you hope to gain by syncing to your synth. In your original message you said:

Quote from: wooperman on January 19, 2009, 07:26:07 PMIs there no USB applications for syncing the Micro BR with a synth. I dont care if it's full midi, or master or slave, but just a simple sync would be nice for adding perfectly synced synth lines.

So, you've recorded some tracks on the Micro BR and now you want to play something on your synth and record it. Correct? The obvious way to do that would be to connect the synth's output to the Micro BR's Line In and record it just as you would any other instrument. But you don't need midi sync at all to do that, so I assume that you want to record the synth to its own built-in sequencer (assuming it has one) rather than on the Micro BR. If that's the case, then you only need midi sync to control the transport functions (Stop, Play, Record, Rewind, Fast Forward, Zero) for both the synth's sequencer and cubase from the midi master (cubase). The tempo won't matter because you'll be recording your synth playing to the sequencer while listening to your Micro BR tracks in cubase. Yes, the clocks in the Micro BR, cubase, and your synth are all slightly different. But it won't matter because the only thing being controlled by midi is the sequencer. As long as you play back the sequencer at the same tempo you used to record the sequence, and start and stop cubase and the sequencer at exactly the same time (midi sync will take care of that), then nothing can get out of sync.

If that doesn't answer your question, then you'll need to give us a clearer description of what you hope to gain by syncing your Micro BR tracks with your synth. What do you want to do once they are synced?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website