those who use or know about "reaper"

Started by phantasm777, February 25, 2012, 09:49:02 AM

phantasm777

ok, i tried using it but there was too much, and was confusing. audacity seemd simpler, but is probably more limited. just how many tracks per song can you get up to? and the settings, i dont know what most of the settings even mean let alone try and set them up for myself. anyone have any advice on how to get started, i read some on it, but again they explain it like you already know how to do it. some of the settings word's i dont even know what they mean let laone what setting i should put them on. it would seem it is better than audacity but i dont know and dont wanna pay if i cannot use it  right. also how limited is the free version as per the paid version?

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

slyswell

the only difference between the paid and the free version is the nagging screen.

There is no track limit.  About all the settings....yeah there is a lot of them and it's hard to understand some of those. But you don't have to tweak most of them.

If you get into reaper you should keep audacity to do external editing of wav files. once you set it as the external editor, you only have to double-click on a wavform for it to open in audacity.

If you have specific questions to get started . feel free to ask me.

phantasm777

ok thanks slywell, im apprehensive using it cause im kinda going to be starting all over and it will consume a lot of time i could spend recording a track of an instrument. but, gotta start somewhere.

SteveB

P777 - With Daws, the only advice is to take things slowly and work at your own pace, and make sure you understand what you've learned before moving on. Audacity's fairly simple, but even that can be overwhelming for a complete novice. Don't forget, all these hobbies can become bottomless pits for cash over time, so take things gentle. And good luck.  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Keywiz2112

Reaper is a great DAW, I know it looks a little daunting, but it does everything most people require.
The main difference between, say Cakewalk and Reaper is that you have to tell Reaper what to do, where as Cakewalk etc. are pre-set for you, which can be a real pain.
 I hope you have been persevering with Reaper. If you need a bit of advice or if you  can give me any that would be great, my personal knowledge is mainly around MIDI.

phantasm777

still haven't done anything with reaper. im too use to audacity and i waste a lot of time on reaper not getting much of anywhere so i let it go. i want to keep the creative juices flowing and going but a new daw just sets me back severely from what i can do on audacity now. i don;t think i would prefer audacity over other daws, but being a novice and winging it, it is the simplest out there.

launched

I think Audacity is a fabulous program. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no automation, which means you have to wait for an effect to process before you can hear it.

I've tried to work with Reaper a few times and I just can't get my head wrapped around it. I'm not the smartest tool in the shed, but Reaper's programming team has done a great job of making recording not easy. Almost to the point of it being a slap in the face. It's nothing I would ever pay for - Thank goodness for trial software.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on July 19, 2012, 11:13:53 AMI think Audacity is a fabulous program. The only thing I don't like about it is that there is no automation, which means you have to wait for an effect to process before you can hear it.

Real-time effects are the most-requested new feature for Audacity, so maybe we'll see it in a new version before too long.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Feature_Requests#Highest-rated

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Even if you could only do it for one track at a time, I believe it would be the best new potential feature.
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover