"Twisted Trickery"

Started by Hook, February 20, 2012, 07:51:18 PM

Hook

Twisted Trickery
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Wrote this tune on the mandolin yesterday, recorded it this morning and worked out the the vocals tonight. I wrote the lyrics back in 1996 during a thru hike of The Appalachian Trail, which early into the 5+ month trek led to an angry, bitter break up & gave birth to this odd, troubled rant. I had written a strange ballad for this then and can't remember it at all now, but these lyrics called to me while listening to this this track, searching for inspiration, and it works for me.
4 mandolin tracks
4 vocal tracks
br900 drums
Twisted Trickery
written & performed by Hook

Rogue mandolin
Tomorrow doesn't speak my language
 Yet I understand each word
My thoughts are scattered throughout my mind
My stars are perfectly aligned
Though I'm haunted by a distant thought
Or a faded memory
A sinful lie...some twisted trickery

For a troubled mind brings a troubled soul
                 And troubled heart is worth nothing but fool's gold
                 Why should I have to handle your   Twisted Trickery

Some change into werewolves
Others into dime store whores
Few do cartwheels anymore
But I've seen them tumble on the floor
A fire walk would hit the spot
And keep me on my toes
Trouble is as trouble does
And it feeds off our souls

Chorus

How we all must love this twisted trickery

Chorus

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

SwanSong

Great preformance. loved it all the way
very captivating...a wonderful song. and vox.
well executed CHEERS NEIL ..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony W

That's a great listen. Love the mandolin treatment.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

bruno

Some great hooks in that - enjoyed the happy music versus bitter lyrics, great tension. Loved the vocals. Very well done.

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

that mandolin sounds fab me want one
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Facemask93

You are fast becoming one of my favourite vocalists , and this is is a great song too Mr Hook
Mando on

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Gnasty

Gee-zuz! I mean Hey-Zeus!

Hook, let me ask you a question. Do you have a job? Cause if you do, you need to quit it and get out there and make an album if you haven`t already. And if you don`t well i hope your packing the clubs at night with your talent. Well that would be your job. Such a great recording and song! The mandolin riffs are extremely good.

YOU RULE!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Krasi

Quote from: facemask93 on February 21, 2012, 05:28:55 PMYou are fast becoming one of my favourite vocalists , and this is is a great song too Mr Hook
Mando on

Rob

Oh yes, I said that before. Singing is simply perfect!! The record is also fantastic!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Hook

Thanks for the very kind words, I'm not usually happy with my vocal mixes when I do multiple parts but I think I did pretty well at blending them this time. I'm going to go back to few tunes here soon, remix and try to apply the same technique.
Quote from: bruno on February 21, 2012, 03:43:20 PMenjoyed the happy music versus bitter lyrics,
That's a trick I use way to often!

ORH- get one!

Facemask- Thanks man! Your vocal ability is 2nd to none and I'm always impressed by your recording technique for both vocals and guitar. You get such a clean crisp sound that I feel like I struggle to get. I'd like to get a nicer mic (mxl990 &991) but It's pretty low on the priority/new toy list.
Quote from: Gnasty on February 22, 2012, 04:17:08 PMDo you have a job?

I'm pretty lucky to have been a professional entertainer for the last 13 years and 90% that has been music for the last 5 years. I perform 6-7 days a week but my audiences are children and my material is geared to interaction & silliness. I was playing covers in clubs/bars/resorts pretty regularly at night also, solo w/my loop station but now the day work is pretty steady and I make = if not more $ for less, easier performances. I say easier only because I can cater the material much more to my vocal range, while doing popular covers I tend to strain and growl & work harder for less audience response. With kids I put more energy/less skill for a much larger, more fulfilling response. I do miss performing music for an adult audience which is why I've been recording and posting so much here lately. I've written/recorded over 30 tunes since last Aug. and yes I have now narrowed it down to about 12 or 13 for an album called "Many Strings". I have some remixing to do but hope it will be ready next month. My first album/CD  "Home Grown" is posted as a playlist at www.alonetone.com/hook.
Way more info than you probably wanted but so be it.
Thanks again for listening, glad you likes it!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Pine

Most impressive in every way. I read the lyrics first and never dreamed the arrangement would take this form. Both are excellent and make for a unique listening experience. the lyrics are very thought provoking...your mando work a delight...and your vox..well...not many out there any better. Man you sing well. When i read your last post, i was not surprised. You definitely are a guy who takes the road less traveled in life. Anybody who thru hikes the Appalachian Trail has accomplished a feat that thousands have tried but few succeed at. A 2000 mile walk thru the mountains with a 40lb pack on your back...wow.

I just finished reading Bill Bryson's book "A Walk in the Woods"..perhaps you have read it. he and a friend also did the trail..or tried too. I don't laugh easily but there were a few places where i just laughed right out loud. I doubt there are few people who would appreciate the story more than you, having "been there and done that".

Congrats on all counts!

Pine  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200