Effects for steel string acoustic guitar...

Started by Yuri, January 18, 2009, 09:29:55 PM

Yuri

Hi Folks

Unfortunately, I do not yet worship at the electric church. 

I am, however, blessed with a resonator, 2 classicals and a steel string with pick-ups which I run through an Ibanez acoustic amp.

If I run the steely through the BR and apply effects, I get...interesting...results, mostly not all that good. 

Has anyone used the BR this way and got some nice tones?

Appreciate your ideas... 

Crazed & Donfused...

SteveG

Effect numbers 76 and 77 are for just that job. I have never used them, I use the mike as I dont have an electro, so cant comment on their usability. It is possible to record the guitar input and mike at the same time too, which may work for you? Just press input ... then TR1 and TR2 together to set it up.

Farmjazz

You might want to try recording dry, then go back and sample different effects applied to your dry track during playback. Do this by setting the EFFECTS LOC to your dry track number(s) and scroll through the effects patches as you're listening. Every song could, conceivably, need a different sound based on the mood of the piece. You may be surprised with what you find. Don't leave out other EFFECTS groups, either. You can sample all the EFFECTS patches in the BR.

Also, remember that all the EFFECTS patches can be modified and saved as USER patches, so you should be able to, with a little time and effort, zero in on the sound you want.

What kind of resonator do you play? I've got a Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature roundneck. I love that thing!

Greeny

I tend to record my acoustic parts through the in-built mic using the 'Onboard 1' effect, PLUS a little bit of extra (low volume) tone through a guitar lead using the 'Basscrnch' guitar effect. You need to press BOTH 'gtr' and 'mic' together via the input button to arm both of them for recording. I only use one track for the combined recording, but you could split them if you wanted (just press two recording tracks at once as SteveG says).

Anything that's not electro-acoustic will still sound fine just through the in-built mic. My 12-string acoustic does anyway.

Yuri

Hi Folks

Thanks all for the advice - I'll see what I do.

Farmjazz - I play a Northridge resonator - not a name brand, but not too bad.  I got it from an estate (family friend of my wife) a few years ago and it had a badly broken neck.  I took it to a guy in Canberra, Australia who did the most amazing repair on it.  I tune a D# (semi-tone below E), bung a capo on the first fret and and use a brass slide. It's right at that point where wonder how all the expression I hear in good slide playing comes about!! HA!!

Crazed & Donfused...

Farmjazz

Yuri - check out the resonator on this post. I did it straight into the on-board mic on the MICRO BR. It adds an indispensable dimension to this piece, I think.

http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/window-seat/0/

My reso had to be repaired as well - a spastic drummer knocked it over flailing around at a jam session and broke the headstock right off.

I use open D tuning - DADF#AD, and sometimes open Dm.

Yuri

Farmjazz - very nice indeed!!  I like those more atmospheric kinda sounds and the reso comes through nicely.

I'm working on my own stuff, but having a 6 month old little guy around gives me a very definite set of priorities & I'm not getting a lot of time...

Cheers.
Crazed & Donfused...

Farmjazz

Yuri - Glad you liked "Window Seat." Thank you for your kind comments, as well. Congratulations on "the little guy" too! Who knows what will be popular when he is, say, 14 years old. Maybe 1940's crooners will be the thing then. It all cycles around.

I have a lot of problems with black-tail deer munching on my fruit trees and garden plants. I was just wondering, are kangaroo a pest down under? 

Yuri

Farm Jazz

Roos are not a pest in the way deer eating your fruit tree is - but they encroach on farm land, carry a few diseases, and have no road sense, so you see a LOT of them rotting away on the side of the road (the council picks them up regularly).

And, yeah, what a great thing to have a little guy around!!  Got any yourself?

Cheers.
Crazed & Donfused...

Tony

Quote from: Farmjazz on January 24, 2009, 06:49:53 PMCongratulations on "the little guy" too! Who knows what will be popular when he is, say, 14 years old. Maybe 1940's crooners will be the thing then. It all cycles around.

Are you telling me that 1940s crooners have gone out of style?  Boy, have I got some catching up to do, to do, to do do do do do.