Whistlepig/ Pine original

Started by Pine, February 17, 2012, 12:45:05 PM

Pine

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

Another alternative instrument..the mountain dulcimer. This one was handbuilt for me by a great luthier in South Carolina named Harold "Wooly" Turner. Top is redwood, sides and back are chestnut, salvaged from a 120yr old piano.

In my neck of the woods, we call 'em woodchucks..some folks call 'em groundhogs..but in SC, i guess they call 'em whistlepigs.

Solo instrumental. This instrument is played on the lap and also is not very loud but sounds cool mic'd up i think. Pic attached below

[soundclick]7303647[/soundclick]

recorder
Boss BR-1200

Oldrottenhead

modified your post so we can see your dulcimer. yer giving me gas again you old dog.

one of the regulars at a wee folk night i go to, plays one of these dulcimer thingies, (not as well as you)  and they sound fab.

anyway loving this, great sound.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pine

Thank you James. i was still trying to figure out how i managed to get the pic of the strumstick in my last post and why i couldn't get this one to post. Technosaurus i guess. Thanks for the kind words...it's a fun instrument and there are alot of tunings for it.

Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Krasi

Sounds really nice! Very interesting instrument, it sounds really powerful to me recorded! Great!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Rata-tat-tat

My granny used to play one of these... no where as good as this though!!! This is killer.... love the sound of this. Takes me back!!! Thanks for sharing PD Awesome!!!!
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Pine

hey thanks you guys...glad you enjoyed the noise!

i am faaaaar from a good player and i have barely scratched the surface of what can be had with different tunings. For the most part, you just play the melody on the closest strings and the others drone so it's pretty "user friendly" as far as just having fun with it. Alot like the strumsticks. I really like the tones these instruments offer..very appalachian an haunting to me. Thanks again for you ears and the kind words.

Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

SwanSong

WOW IS ALL I CAN SAY ..FANTASTIC JOb. my friend beautiful
instrument. u have really shown how cool this instrument can
play . hats off cheers NEIL.!

Tony W

Great song Pine. Ironically I saw a groundhog/woodchuck/whistlepig today. I don't recall ever seeing them this early in the year. It's been one weird winter.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

I love this Pinedog. I know what you mean about some instruments being user friendly. I've played on a few different dulcimer style instruments over the years and am always amazed at how quickly it starts to sound pleasant. This piece however is wonderful, thanks for sharing!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely