Warriors, Battlefields, and Graveyards/Pinedog original

Started by Pine, February 13, 2012, 06:02:44 PM

Pine

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

Alternative instruments are showing up here of late so i thought i would post this. It was done on a Grand Strumstick...a three string instrument with a diatonic (whole tone) scale. It has minimal volume live (especially for half deaf folks like me)  but when mic'd up it offers what i think is a very haunting, appalachian mountain sound. I did it as a soundtrack for a video on Arlington National Cemetery.

[soundclick]5357808[/soundclick]

recorder
Boss BR-1200

Krasi

I love this!!! Sounds great! I know you created it as a soundtrack but man, I'm so tempted to try and record vocals if you let me?
recorder
Boss BR-80

Nelson

Just love it PD.

Great mix and the arrangement is touching, even with out words but it's screaming for lyrics.

You are a wizard with your instruments.

Outstanding work
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

Pine

Thanks guys. I understand why you would think it needs lyrics, but i would prefer the instrument and the pictures tell the story. I'm a vietnam vet and I have a personal connection with Arlington and it's kind of a sacred subject. Maybe if i post the video you'll understand. i appreciate the kind words though.

Pine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2B4bQqs5z4
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Krasi

Very touching!! The video really explains it all! I wouldn't even dare asking what you have gone through.
recorder
Boss BR-80

hardlock

recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

maxit

yes is very touching , makes me really feel something about it. I loved th isntrument also, sound a bit like dulcimer to me.
recorder
Audacity

Geir

WOW Charlie. That is a really beautiful and emotional piece of music.

Downloaded for further listening !

Is this the instrument you used?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Pine

Thanks guys. The song is rather simplistic without the video.

Maxit...yes, the tone is similar to a mountain dulcimer...partially because of the tuning (D-A-D) and the sound of he drone string. Makes it almost a distant kin to bagpipes.

Geir. Thank you...and yes, that is a pic of a McNally strumstick just like one of mine. There are many similar instruments out there but he has copyrighted the name "strumstick". It's tricky to hold and play. Some use their lap...it's quite neck heavy.

The "backpacker" guitar by Martin was designed by Bob McNally Here is a link to his website:

http://www.strumstick.com/

Pine
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Hook

That's powerfully moving stuff there Pinedog! An excellent tribute to those brave men who gave everything!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely