Vocals

Started by RMO, January 15, 2009, 03:05:07 AM

RMO

Hi, well im new on this forum, i got a micro br a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty awesome, back in the day i have been recording some ideas, first with my acoustic guitar and then with electric guitar, with the acoustic i uses effects like "vocal compression" when singing, but when i record electric guitar i don't like the sound of my voice, i want to know wich one is the best effect for vocals in a rock song or something like that, any tips??

thanks, i'll post some of my stuff when i'm ready

Oldrottenhead

i often use the fornylon effect, but messabout with different effects and recording levels. you can also edit effects, a bit of a learning curve is involved in that but i am sure someone can explain how to better than i can.

look forward to hearing your stuff. 
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Hi...

It depends what kind of rock sound you're after. I use 'OnBoard1' for my vocals most of the time (it's a good all-purpose vocal patch, but quite 'clean', so it doesn't cover up any mistakes!), but for the heavier stuff I use 'VocalDelay1'. This adds a nice depth when there's enough rock noise to carry it. See my song 'The Noble Art of Self Destruction' on the post your work thread for an example of this one in action.

It's all about personal taste though - I know OldRottenHead uses different patches with brilliant results, so you might have to experiment to find the right effect for your voice.

Good luck !  :)

SteveG

I tend towards Vocal Delay 1 with a shortened delay time and a bit of compression. Best thing would be to record a clean vocal ... no effects, then set the effects to the vocal track and play with the various options whilst listening till you hear something you like. To do this....

Press Effects, >, LOC (TR1)
+ till you get to the correct track
Press effects again, and cursor (<>) to the effect type, will probably be GT
+/- to change that to MC
Cursor to the effect number, and +/- to select.

Remember that you can edit this even further.

Glenn Mitchell

I don't know if it's normal in a pro studio, I'm an amateur, but I do a scratch track (Guitar + vocals) just to get the feel and the structure down.
Then build up all the backer trax, mix 'em, bounce them, then put down the finished vocal(s) at the end just before mastering.
That way the vox don't seem to get so buried in the rest of the trax and is much more out front and clear.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

RMO

thanks guys! i'm almost done with a couple of songs, soon i will post them...

Davo

Any progress?
BTW im a huge Rivers fan.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Geir

Hi.
I agree with Greeny, onboard's a good all-round setting. For me the VocalXXXX-presets are a bit heavy on the delay but if you edit them they can be a good choice on some songs.

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

I'm with ORH, ForNylon (which I beleive is intended for classical guitar) has worked best for me, with some tweaking. But I'll be exploring others.

One thing I always do is to apply mastering effects after I have recorded the vocal. So when I am bouncing it to another track, I apply a mastering effect to it to adjust the EQ (I often use Mix Down). I find that I generally need to boost the bass and mid a bit to "thicken" the sound, but I guess that will depend on your voice.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

i got to remember to try ForNylon

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper