Effects Pedals Between Guitar and Micro

Started by zzini, January 02, 2009, 07:11:02 AM

sorry if this has been covered before but i recently picked up this unit, can i put a digitech grunge pedal or others between my guitar and the micro using the guitar input?  i would like to have a cleaner guitar/chorus/delay sound on the micro and then be able to hit the distortion pedal or other effects as needed. i'm not necessarily wanting to record full songs this way, just jam with the drum tracks, put down ideas etc. i'm concerned of damaging internal micro components so i havent tried it yet.  Is recording like this also possible? i've used a digitech rp350 thru the line in 1/8" jack and its worked fine, the micro with a battery powered pedal would make for a very portable take anywhere setup (i'm often kicked out of most areas of the house). ps, i didnt care for hardly any of the metal sounds even after playing with them quite a while, but get great ones with the grunge pedal and amps.

Glenn Mitchell

There is no problem with pedals. You would need to record Dry or turn off the effects.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

but i could put a clean guitar with just some chorus within the micro and then play that for an into and then hit the distortion pedal when say the verse comes in? i realize the sound will now be distortion with the same chorus if this would work

BossMicroBRew

Yep, z.   You're good to go.  One thing to look out for is the speaker simulator when you turn the chorus on in the BR.  You can toy around with what sounds better to you, though, with the sim on or off.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

ok thanks, great! thanks for your quick help

Greeny

I would experiment with using pedals both 'dry' and with the in-built effects patches. I've used a wah pedal with different effects settings on the BR, and have found some interesting combinations like that. Some of the BR effects would totally drown out / ruin the main pedal effect though, so it's probably best to start off by switching the internal effects off so you have a benchmark to judge your experiments by.

I have a question. I'm from turkey and sorry about my english. When i connect Digitech GNX3000 to BR use guitar in jack, it cause peak (appear sign "over"). I try to fix sensivity and lower my tone get bad. If i connect it to BR use line in jack, would same problem repeat? Or what are you suggest?

Glenn Mitchell

there are 2 controls for input. One is the sensitivity in the Input button and the other is the input volume wheel on the end.
Did try try both?
I would think you would use the Guitar input unless the pedal has a power assist?
Not sure on that but the average guitar pickup does not have much power.
I have an EQ with a volume control that also over drives the signal but I just turn it down on the wheel.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Geir

Quote from: Moriyondo on January 25, 2009, 10:01:51 AMI have a question. I'm from turkey and sorry about my english. When i connect Digitech GNX3000 to BR use guitar in jack, it cause peak (appear sign "over"). I try to fix sensivity and lower my tone get bad. If i connect it to BR use line in jack, would same problem repeat? Or what are you suggest?
I don't know the GNX3000 but if it has a headphone output you could use that .... ohhhh this post is from january, guess you've figured out a solution then?

cheers

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Saijinn Maas

So, apparently pedals should work fine through the MBR. But I seem to having no luck getting a useable tone. I have two distortion pedals that I've tried (Boss ML-2 Metalcore and a Vox Satchurator). But when I plug either of them into the 1/4 GTR input on MBR, the tone is terrible. And no adjustment seems to make a difference. I've turned off the FX on MBR and still not good.

Should I be going through the MBR's stereo Line In instead? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks