Bouncing headaches, and erasing ghost time...

Started by cliftonroy, January 23, 2008, 06:28:41 PM

Ok, first of all I must say that I'm very excited this forum exists, as I have a mild technophobia in the first place and folks like me who love handmade music just don't have the set and step to keep up sometimes.
I bounced two tracks (banjo and vocals) from the four takes I did to 12V2 or whatever, and through some mind bending process of copying I finally ended up with both tracks that I liked queued up at the start, with 30 mins. of silence at the end. I mastered it, pressed play and record at the same time, hit stop at the end of the song and exported 5 minutes of song and 25 of silence! How the hell do I get this ghost space off the record? Thanks in advance to any kind soul who tries to help me.
Cheers.

Pedro

Hello there my friend and welcome, glad to have you onboard!

As I understood the problem seems to be 25 seconds at the end of the MP3, right? First of all, let me just say that all that is exported to MP3 is what you record when Mastering. So in your case it seems that there was a problem when mastering the song. Try to remaster, just to remind you, here is the procedure:

Press EXIT and UTILIY simultaneous two times, then rewind to the start by pressing STOP and REWIND simultaneous, press RECORD and then PLAY. Press STOP when its over. You have to press Record and then Play, not record and play simultaneous.

You can always cut that last 25 seconds using an audio editor like Audacity. Or you can do it on Micro BR.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Regarding bouncing:
Remember, you can move tracks. Imagine that you have Track 1  - V2 & Track 2 - V2. You can just move them to Track 1 - V1 and Track 2 - V2, overwriting the original ones. Then you would erase the other Track 3 - V1 and Track 4 - V1 at the same time (you can do this in the Erasing tracks window). This is just an heads up for faster and simpler bouncing.

Regarding your real problem, I must say I didn't fully understood. Could explain better?

thanks so much for getting back to me. I moved the tracks by copying from T12V4 to T1V7 and it retained both parts, and cut out the mess. I had recorded 30 minutes of about 4 takes, pretty quick, the first two playing and singing and the second two adding a second track. I had one Thirty minute 'master tape' and was trying to pull the take from there, but every time I copied a track (or moved it) from T12V whatever, it would bring along the rest of that master as the ghost space. It is exceeding nice to know someone cares about this enough to try and help. Thanks a ton. After I export this, I'll post it.

Pedro

Quote from: cliftonroy on January 23, 2008, 07:28:34 PMthanks so much for getting back to me. I moved the tracks by copying from T12V4 to T1V7 and it retained both parts, and cut out the mess. I had recorded 30 minutes of about 4 takes, pretty quick, the first two playing and singing and the second two adding a second track. I had one Thirty minute 'master tape' and was trying to pull the take from there, but every time I copied a track (or moved it) from T12V whatever, it would bring along the rest of that master as the ghost space. It is exceeding nice to know someone cares about this enough to try and help. Thanks a ton. After I export this, I'll post it.

No problem. This seems a bit complicated to me though, but if the problem is ghost space in the end mix, I strongly advise you to do everything normally, go to the Mastering mode and export to MP3 or WAV, upload to PC, and then using Audacity cut out that ghost space.

Try to create a new recording and keep things more simple, then post back every doubt or thing you want to do so that we can help you step by step.