Transformer

Started by chip, August 06, 2011, 03:47:15 AM

chip

Hi folks. I didn't know where to post this, so I have placed it here.
You may recall I have a Roost session master 100, however the mains
output transformer which is a Drake ( Marshall 100 watt JCM 900 type)
has expired. The original Partridge transformers were removed some time ago and
replaced with Drakes. The question is. Do any of you know where I can get one from
without spending a fortune?
It's a great amp and needs an operation to get it up and about again.
Cheers Chip. UK
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Wartime Novelty

I know a dealer of mercury magnetics stuff which is absolutely top quality stuff it can be a bit pricey at times but its worth it.

If you want ill enquire about prices for you
Current equipment Ibanez RGA42FM with Bare Knuckle Miracle Man & Mississippi Queen, Marshall TSL601, Shure SM57, Line6 UX1, M-Audio MA30 monitors

Wartime Novelty

And is it the mains transformer or the output transformer?

I presume theyre just standard jcm900 ones?
Current equipment Ibanez RGA42FM with Bare Knuckle Miracle Man & Mississippi Queen, Marshall TSL601, Shure SM57, Line6 UX1, M-Audio MA30 monitors

chip

Quote from: Wartime Novelty on August 07, 2011, 02:17:31 PMI know a dealer of mercury magnetics stuff which is absolutely top quality stuff it can be a bit pricey at times but its worth it.

If you want ill enquire about prices for you

Cheers. Detail as follows, Drake mains transformer 120 or D 3 182.
 Output is 1206, no other numbers. It may be the same as is used in the JCM 900?
  Amp is a Roost session master 100 watt valve combo, made in England circa 1973,
   original mains transformer was a Partridge. Thanks

Wartime Novelty

Heya Chip.

I have sent him an email with the info that you have provided and i shall get back to you as soon as he responds.

chip

Quote from: Wartime Novelty on August 08, 2011, 01:09:51 PMHeya Chip.

I have sent him an email with the info that you have provided and i shall get back to you as soon as he responds.

Cheers. I have the mail.

chip

Just a quick update on the Roost. I took it to another tech ( second opinion) and
it is NOT the transformer, when the other chap re valved it he biased to high, way to high,
causing two valves (new ones) to burn out taking a couple of other things with them.
The amp is now almost back to normal after this near disaster thanks to someone
who knows exactly what they are doing, rather than someone who thinks they know.
 To say there is a sigh of relief, goes without saying, I would hope that,
 the amp now calms down a bit and can be used for the purpose it was made for.:)

Wartime Novelty

Im glad to see that you have it all sorted

chip

Quote from: Wartime Novelty on September 23, 2011, 08:33:45 AMIm glad to see that you have it all sorted

Cheers, I did contact your friend but he was a little far away, so I went closer to home
and found someone very competent to deal with the situation. I will use this guy from
now on   http://www.proaudioservice.co.uk/index.htm    for anyone near.

chip

Hi the Roost is back and is better. Bias was 49mA 500v, bias now 20 watt per valve 39mA.
Heater volts a t6.9v, ballast resistor fitted to drop to 6.2v, two new EH EL34 valves and
 running with four not two ( this is what was recommended ) which I was going to have
He reckons the amp is good to go and should be okay for some time.
So there you have it, six months and £500 (including purchase price) after buying it,
 the session master rises from the ashes to growl once more.
 It's going to get cranked up tonight ;)