How Do You BR-80?

Started by KKerrick, August 05, 2011, 02:31:11 PM

KKerrick

I know every one is just getting to know this little guy. I just wanted to start a thread concentrating on how people have had sucesses with various types of workflow.

My current workflow is concentrating on guitar and ear training practice. So far I have just been taking the CD's that come with various lesson and books and running them in the eBand mode for play along. When I think I'm ready. I load the backing tracks into MTR mode and record myself so, that I can record and cretique myself. All of this has gone quite well.

One of the challenges was getting the cd tracks organized in a browsable fashion. I chose to use the album lable to group them and its been working out.

I've played around with the Live Rec mode but find MTR mode more flexible for idea taking as I can't use an electric guitar with Live Rec.
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

Tony W

I spend 10 to 12 hours a day on a PC, so when it comes to music time, I really prefer to be away from them and in stand alone mode. On the Micro BR I've done up to 20 tracks, and people like Geir have exceeded 60 tracks, all mixing and mastering on the BR.

I used to spend quite a bit of time on backing tracks to learn to play lead guitar. I've had a shift lately where I am spending all my time playing rhythm, which is much more beneficial to me at this stage, so no more importing backers.

I float around quite a bit, and the BR is as attached to me as a cell phone. You never know when the mood will strike. Unfortunately as you mentioned in the other thread, my workflow will change, most likely for the better, but it's definitely a change that I didn't anticipate. The stand alone aspect is slightly changed in the fact that we don't have an exported MP3 upon completion. This is a highly marginal point though, because no matter what, the device had to be plugged into a PC at some point.

Why can't you use an electric guitar in live rec mode?

**EDIT**

Wow! I can't believe I never tried Live Rec with an electric until now...... it doesn't switch inputs...

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR