Main Menu

Count In

Started by spacewolf1, January 23, 2008, 11:28:02 AM

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a count-in before recording starts in order to get a feel for timing before playing?

Pedro

Hello there spacewolf1 and welcome to the forum!

Its not possible to do a count in metronome but you can do a punch in. What a punch in does is that it automatically starts to record on a given interval. Lets imagine you want to have 2 bars of count in 4/4 metronome and then you want to record 8 bars of guitar. What you would do is:

1. Select the first beat of the 3rd bar and then press the A-B button.
2. 3+8 = 11 so now select the 1st beat of the 11th bar and press the A-B again.
3. A new window will appear, select the A.Punch
4. Rewind to the start, arm your track to record and press play

It will then automatically start to record on the 3rd bar and stop on the 11th. This way you get a 2 bars count in metronome.

Thanks! I love a good workaround! Now I'm wondering...how do you program the rhythm if you want a break in the drums and then resume say a measure later? Thanks again.

Pedro

Quote from: spacewolf1 on January 29, 2008, 08:43:55 AMThanks! I love a good workaround! Now I'm wondering...how do you program the rhythm if you want a break in the drums and then resume say a measure later? Thanks again.

No problem! In that measure you have to choose the pattern BREAK. I think it is the last one. This will silence that one measure.

jmccull1

I just let the machine do a 4 measure intro(with drums), record everything(starting at measure 5), get all tracks down to where I have bounced to a stereo pair(ready to master), then  erase the first 4 measures. The song starts on what used to be measure 5, but is now measure 1.

Jimmy Mac

Olarte

Quote from: admin on January 23, 2008, 12:09:30 PMHello there spacewolf1 and welcome to the forum!

Its not possible to do a count in metronome but you can do a punch in. What a punch in does is that it automatically starts to record on a given interval. Lets imagine you want to have 2 bars of count in 4/4 metronome and then you want to record 8 bars of guitar. What you would do is:

1. Select the first beat of the 3rd bar and then press the A-B button.
2. 3+8 = 11 so now select the 1st beat of the 11th bar and press the A-B again.
3. A new window will appear, select the A.Punch
4. Rewind to the start, arm your track to record and press play

It will then automatically start to record on the 3rd bar and stop on the 11th. This way you get a 2 bars count in metronome.

So you would need to know what the (end) number of meassures will be ahead of time correct?

also, I assume the punch in will work every time you record a separate track?

Farmjazz

I think Jimmy Mac's approach is much simpler and straight forward. Also, you don't have to worry about the MICRO BR cutting off your recording at some point.

Instead of four measures, though, I just program a one measure count-in by using the first half of P265. It's a two measure pattern, but I don't want the second half of it, so I start my second step at measure 002 and it cuts off the second half of P265. What you're left with is a high hat playing quarter notes. If you wanted to extend just that, you can program P265 to re-start every measure. I did that for a song I was working on, and it works! I suppose if you wanted eighth, or sixteenth notes you could just adjust the tempo accordingly for those steps only. I never tried that, but it just came to me. I think I'll try it for kicks.

Hope that helps.

kernowkid

Hey Farmjazz

Thanks for the great tip - helped me no end

Kernowkid

Hey Farmjazz,  Good fix.  Thanx.

Farmjazz

Glad to help, guys. I used that "count in" as the beat behind a whole intro section in this surf tune:

http://microrecorders.org/community/post-your-work/pipeline/0/