Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: worldrevolver on December 04, 2012, 10:47:13 AMI think I need to be a bit clearer...by silly crash sound I mean the one that seems to lead off most of the patterns.

So I just need to create smf's that don't start the pattern with a cymbal crash. I will try changing kits.

This is just in comparison to the Micro BR which had most of the V patterns being more basic and less busy with the cymbals and the F patterns would contain cymbal hits. Which is very similar to how the BR-80 works except there is that bothersome cymbal hit to start many of the built-in V patterns.

Ah! I see what you mean now. It's not the sound of the cymbal that bothers you; it's the fact that it's played at that point in the pattern. So you want to make a copy of the pattern, omitting the cymbal hit at the beginning.

I think your best bet is to make patterns in Hydrogen and export them as SMFs which you can then import to the BR-80. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to view the BR-80's preset patterns so that you can duplicate them in Hydrogen (less the unwanted cymbal hits).

I agree that Roland should add SMF Export to the BR Rhythm Editor. Although, I don't think the preset patterns in the BR Rhythm Editor are the same as those in the BR-80. The BR-80 definitely has more preset patterns than the BR Rhythm Editor. Some might be the same. But some are certainly missing from the BR Rhythm Editor.

As an aid to creating useful patterns in Hydrogen, you could try running the BR Rhythm Editor and Hydrogen side-by-side. Then you can look at the pattern grid in the BR Rhythm Editor and try to re-create the same pattern in Hydrogen.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ok great idea 64.

This will take some work. I do like that Boss allows us to overwrite the existing patterns. At least that is what I have gleaned from reading the manual. If I can cook up some better rhythm SMF's I will post them here.

I have to think that Boss/Roland made an error with those V patterns and the cymbal hit. I just don't hear many songs that feature a cymbal crash to lead off the 4/4 beat during a verse (and then of course recur every time you have the pattern inserted. So 4 measures 4 cymbal crashes at the beginning of each.

This is something I think they could easily fix with a firmware update.

Hi Guys,

I have an issue. When the BR-80 unit is connected to my PC, I am seeing a list of songs under the
'Song' section of the 'eBand Song List Editor'. However, when I disconnect the unit from the PC and
enter the eBand mode, I am only seeing one song. Also a new song I added to the BR-80 via the
'eBand Song List Editor' can't been seen in the eBand mode. Why is this happening? The only song
I am seeing in the eBand mode I belive is the song I see listed in the 'User' section of the 'eBand
Song List Editor'. Hope someone can advise. The OS version of the BR is 1.04. Thanks.

regards
glisando

Gnasty

I guess there are no more updates as i was scrolling through. I have version 1.05 now.

I`m wondering if anyone else has this problem with br-80 and windows 8. I`m figuring Windows 8 is the problem since it never happened before. When i connect the br-80 USB to computer, my computer doesn`t recognize the br-80 and when i unplug it, the br-80 v tracks read nothing and then it won`t power off either. I then have to take out  a battery and power it up again and then it works properly and the wav convertor works too. It`s kinda a pain in the ass that  i have to power it off every time and sometimes i forget to do it.
 It never did that before so i`m thinking it needs a bug fix in an update. Has this happened to anyone else and /or in another OS?

Thanks
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Quote from: Gnasty on April 23, 2013, 02:17:06 PMI guess there are no more updates as i was scrolling through. I have version 1.05 now.

Version 1.06 was released November 1, 2012.

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=10830.msg210619#msg210619

Quote from: Gnasty on April 23, 2013, 02:17:06 PMI`m wondering if anyone else has this problem with br-80 and windows 8. I`m figuring Windows 8 is the problem since it never happened before. When i connect the br-80 USB to computer, my computer doesn`t recognize the br-80 and when i unplug it, the br-80 v tracks read nothing and then it won`t power off either. I then have to take out  a battery and power it up again and then it works properly and the wav convertor works too. It`s kinda a pain in the ass that  i have to power it off every time and sometimes i forget to do it.
 It never did that before so i`m thinking it needs a bug fix in an update. Has this happened to anyone else and /or in another OS?

I'm not sure about that specific issue, but Roland have released a BR-80 driver specifically for Windows 8. Is that what you're using?

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=BR-80&id=62483047

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Gnasty

I updated 1.06 thanks but the driver won`t install. It will install it but when it comes time to connect br-80 to Usb,
it does nothing. Is it because my usb port is 3.0?

It lists reasons if it doesn`t install:

* This product cannot be used with a USB 3.0 port that is not compatible with USB 2.0 specification.
* If this product does not work correctly when connected to a USB 3.0 port, you will need to connect it to a USB 2.0 port.
* Even if connected to a USB 3.0 port, the performance of the product will not change.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Quote from: Gnasty on April 23, 2013, 07:11:23 PMI updated 1.06 thanks but the driver won`t install. It will install it but when it comes time to connect br-80 to Usb,
it does nothing. Is it because my usb port is 3.0?

It lists reasons if it doesn`t install:

* This product cannot be used with a USB 3.0 port that is not compatible with USB 2.0 specification.
* If this product does not work correctly when connected to a USB 3.0 port, you will need to connect it to a USB 2.0 port.
* Even if connected to a USB 3.0 port, the performance of the product will not change.

Most new computers that have USB 3.0 ports also have a few USB 2.0 ports. So check your computer's documentation. If you have a USB 2.0 port, try connecting the BR-80 to it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Hey yeah thanks 64. The driver still won`t load on my computer, but i don`t think i need it cause it`s working fine
in the other port which i never used till now. So much quicker actually now. The one thing i don`t miss about the Mbr. :P

Thanks again
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Tony W

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 08, 2012, 04:43:55 PMNoticed this on YouTube. I hope it's not going to become a common problem with BR-80s as they get older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umc2qmaiDKc

Anyone here experiencing similar glitches with the wheel?

My thumb wheel is doing exactly this now. Seems odd since I've not used it for entirely too long. Anyone find a resolve?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

Quote from: Tony W on May 08, 2013, 06:09:09 AM
Quote from: 64Guitars on February 08, 2012, 04:43:55 PMNoticed this on YouTube. I hope it's not going to become a common problem with BR-80s as they get older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umc2qmaiDKc

Anyone here experiencing similar glitches with the wheel?

My thumb wheel is doing exactly this now. Seems odd since I've not used it for entirely too long. Anyone find a resolve?

This entire issue is the sole reason I'll never get a BR-80. Hopefully they'll one day do a new version but just stick to something that works... Windows 8, anyone?  :D :D

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR