Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Geir

Quote from: Redler on April 25, 2012, 06:33:33 AMAlthough, I'm owner of BR-80, I haven't browsed this thread hardly at all...

In my opinion, when recording acoustic guitar, I feel the sound is too compressed, though I switch comp to off position or recording without effects... Does anyone agree with me? How to get more dynamic to the tone? Or does anyone have any good preset or tip? I've heard here great acoustic tones/tunes (recorded on BR-80), so it is sure possible...

Thanks,

Kari
I agree with you Kari. I think most of the effects for mic are too compressed, both for vocals and for recording acoustic guitar. I've not yet made my own FX setup for vox/acoustic, but when I get time I will!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Quote from: Redler on April 25, 2012, 06:33:33 AMIn my opinion, when recording acoustic guitar, I feel the sound is too compressed, though I switch comp to off position or recording without effects... Does anyone agree with me? How to get more dynamic to the tone?

The mastering effects also use compression (the DYNAMICS parameter). Be sure to turn off the compressor there too, or just mix without any mastering effects. Here's what the manual says about the DYNAMICS parameter of the mastering effects:

This adjusts the variation in volume between loud and soft passages in the performance.

Raising this setting will decrease the variation in volume. Although this is a convenient way to improve the overall
loudness for your song, it will decrease the natural dynamics of the music.

Lowering this setting will increase the variation in volume; while this will make it difficult to obtain overall loudness for your song, the music will be closer to the natural dynamic variation of the original performance.

If this setting is at 0, the mastering effect will produce its standard effect.

Value range is -20 to +20, so try setting to -20 and see if that helps.

You could also experiment with microphone position. I think closer mic'ing might give you better dynamics, but try a few distances and see which gives you the best results.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Oldrottenhead

you guys are getting me worried again. how does it compare to the old micro br regarding recording vocals i was expecting it to be an improvement with the added effects available.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Redler

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 25, 2012, 08:56:31 AMValue range is -20 to +20, so try setting to -20 and see if that helps.

You could also experiment with microphone position. I think closer mic'ing might give you better dynamics, but try a few distances and see which gives you the best results.

Thanks for the replies, Geir and 64. Hmm...I don't remember in which position the compression has been in my recordings (mastering). Must try that "different distance" tip, too.

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

chip

I have been recording vocals and after 64's advice things are working out well. I am now not in the top segments. After panning the electric to the right and rolling back the track level, I like the sound I have, very clear and much less clipping than the MBR,. I am using the rock cosm with single delay and unlike the MBR I can hear the delay on the track after recording.

So far this new MBR 80 is a great update to me at ant rate.  The Gibson sounds better and I can control the clipping easier than the MBR which was near on impossible on the original, of course the guitars still sound very digital but hey I can live with it. I shall have to mess around with compression as I always forget to turn it off.

Don't panic Oldrottenhead. I think the vocals are a vast improvement, just takes a little experimenting. If I can sort it out anyone can  :o
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Quote from: Bluesberry on April 12, 2012, 03:50:34 PM
Quote from: Geir on April 12, 2012, 02:34:32 PMahh this reminds me, I've gotta write my br80 review soon ... ::)
Yes, I would love to hear your complete appraisal........
Tho not complete yet I posted what I've got so far as a new topic here:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15069.0
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

strummer10

Probably a daft question but I've just got a new SD card for the BR80 (San Disk SDHC 4gb - works fine so far) and after formatting the card I noticed that the backing tracks in eBand aren't there. Have I done something wrong or am I supposed to copy the files onto the card? If the latter, do I need to copy the files from the original card onto desktop and then onto new card?

Yer

They posted a update, v1.05, at the German Roland site. I have yet to install it myself and there is no change log available yet. http://www.rolandmusik.de/downloads/updates/index.php#
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Thanks for letting us know, Yer.

Here's a direct link to the file:

http://www.rolandmusik.de/ftp/pub/downloads/tecfiles/A_bis_F/BR80_1v05.zip

Once again Roland Germany is the first site to make this update available. They are the only Roland site that has the latest updates for all of the BR series recorders. Thanks, Roland Germany!

I hope it will appear soon at Roland.com or some of the other English-language sites. Maybe if a few people contacted their local Roland tech support and requested this update with English instructions and a list of changes, it might get added to other Roland sites more quickly.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig