Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Tony W

You can't get past the "category" without making a selection, even if the selection is "no category" which is why I made the assumption. I always use "no category" mainly because I import a lot of backers. If you select any other category, you have to turn off the rhythm section, etc. It's a cool concept, if you already have a ballpark idea of what you're going to do for your next song, but if you screwed in LIVE REC mode, then MTR is really the only option.

I never caught the battery type setting, so I checked and mine is set for alkaline (default). 95% of the time I have a boss PSA plugged in to the BR. I was going to do some LIVE REC testing tonight with the original SD card, but left it in my office. It'll have to wait until tomorrow.

I don't think I have seen anyone having trouble with LIVE REC who still uses the stock SD card.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

Unless senility has hit me overnight I seem to have a problem
 I set up my fx unit through line in and select my preferred tone
everything is OK till I record and play it back.....
somehow it looses its Edge/Presence on recording
I can then get some of back via EQ
but I don't understand why its not recording what I can hear going in......
Any Ideas gratfully received

simont

Quote from: The Reverend 48 on October 05, 2011, 07:34:18 AMUnless senility has hit me overnight I seem to have a problem
 I set up my fx unit through line in and select my preferred tone
everything is OK till I record and play it back.....
somehow it looses its Edge/Presence on recording
I can then get some of back via EQ
but I don't understand why its not recording what I can hear going in......
Any Ideas gratfully received

What mode are you recording in?
Are you recording to mp3?
How are you monitoring when recording?
What's your signal chain?
recorder
Boss BR-80

Bluesberry

Another question...do you have the recording level wheel (input volume....can't remember what it is called) set at anything other than zero, it will pick up noise from the mics if not set to zero.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

You can also test your findings with the MBR to verify it's the device and not something else.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

simont

Quote from: Tony W on October 04, 2011, 07:29:17 AMLIVE REC:
What a frustrating problem. I have yet to install the factory SD card back into the 80, but I have tried 4 other SCHC cards including a class 10 card which has given me the dreaded "Drive Busy" about 80% of my recording attempts. 20% of the time I can record more than 18 seconds of music. In the other two modes, I get no recording errors.

Tony, I was hoping you wouldn't say that.    :'(
After trying plenty of cards I had come to the conclusion that the brand/class of the card was the issue.
Anyway, for what it's worth, here are my findings.

Stock Toshiba SD card works all the time.
Toshiba 4gb class2 SDHC works all the time.
Transcend 4gb class2 SDHC - drive busy error.
Transcend 8gb class2 SDHC - drive busy error.
SanDisk  16gb class4 SDHC - drive busy error.

I get the 'Drive busy' error in both Live rec and eBand modes, never in MTR mode.

At this stage I concluded it was a class issue, or only Toshiba cards worked, so I ordered a 8gb class10 Toshiba SDHC.
 Got delivery of a BMCDigital 8gb class6 SDHC  ::). They advertise it as "by Toshiba"
It works all the time!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BMCDigital-SDHC-Class-Memory-Card/dp/B0035FPODU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1317824586&sr=8-8

I'm not buying anymore cards :)

recorder
Boss BR-80

Tony W

How frustrating! I've Tried mostly Kingston ranging from Class 4 to Class 10. All of them are 8-16GB cards, and none of them work. I'm pretty sure I've tried Sandisk as well, but it's difficult to remember. I've got a ton of cards laying around.

I tried recording with the stock Toshiba today, 10 different recordings all roughly 1:20 long, and not a single failure.  The drive busy error has never happened over :40 on me incidentally. If I make it past that point, I'm good.

I'm glad you found a card that works! I would have been furious if I ordered a Toshiba and got an off name brand, but as long as it does the trick.... hey good on ya!

So If you're reading this post, and wondering what NOT to buy.... KINGSTON won't cut it.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Roland mentions one particular Toshiba card that is incompatible. Model number SD-K16GR6W4. This is a 16 GB, class 4 card.

However, it then goes on to say that the following brands are confirmed compatible:

Panasonic, SanDisk, TOSHIBA, Kingston

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/faq.cfm?PRODUCT=BR%2D80&iRcId=62152651&dsp=1

So I guess Toshiba is okay as long as you avoid that one particular 16 GB card.

Most of the system updates for previous BR models have been to improve memory card compatibility. I expect it will be the same with the BR-80. When system updates become available, these "Drive busy!" errors will probably disappear mostly. In the meantime, has anyone tried contacting Roland tech support to complain about the "Drive Busy!" errors and ask their advice?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

simont

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 05, 2011, 09:53:39 AMRoland mentions one particular Toshiba card that is incompatible. Model number SD-K16GR6W4. This is a 16 GB, class 4 card.

However, it then goes on to say that the following brands are confirmed compatible:

Panasonic, SanDisk, TOSHIBA, Kingston

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/faq.cfm?PRODUCT=BR%2D80&iRcId=62152651&dsp=1

So I guess Toshiba is okay as long as you avoid that one particular 16 GB card.

Most of the system updates for previous BR models have been to improve memory card compatibility. I expect it will be the same with the BR-80. When system updates become available, these "Drive busy!" errors will probably disappear mostly. In the meantime, has anyone tried contacting Roland tech support to complain about the "Drive Busy!" errors and ask their advice?

Notice in the last line:-

"The SD card brands confirmed compatible with the BR-80:
Panasonic, SanDisk, TOSHIBA, Kingston"

No mention of SDHC there. That'll be their out!!  ;)

I have contacted Roland UK about it. Have yet to receive a reply.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Tony W

I thought I had sent Roland an email regarding that one, but I didn't so I fired one off about 40 minutes ago. It's hard to pack in all the testing into 300 characters or so...

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR