Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

cuthbert

Quote from: Henky on August 30, 2011, 10:24:11 AMI don't think this is an oversight because now you can play along with any incoming signal like for example your MP3 player just like an incoming signal over USB, you don't want that (being probably your monitoring) going through the effects either.

I disagree, and consider it an oversight - if I want to add COSM effects to my stereo keyboard plugged into the BR-80, I'm out of luck. Since it's a recordable input signal, it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to use the COSM effects on it. Other BR models also have a 1/8 stereo input jack (my own experience has been with the original Micro BR), and effects are applied to them as well as any other input on the recorder.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on August 30, 2011, 11:20:52 AMI disagree, and consider it an oversight - if I want to add COSM effects to my stereo keyboard plugged into the BR-80, I'm out of luck. Since it's a recordable input signal, it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to use the COSM effects on it. Other BR models also have a 1/8 stereo input jack (my own experience has been with the original Micro BR), and effects are applied to them as well as any other input on the recorder.

Yep. The BR-80 is the first BR ever that doesn't allow you to apply insert effects to the line input. Every BR from the BR-8 in 2000 to the BR-800 in 2010 allowed effects on Line In, and they even came with a bank of preset patches specifically for Line In. Why Roland dropped this useful feature in the BR-80 I can't imagine.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Daviram

Hi guys. In eBand mode, I recorded the audio line-in input. I tried to export with the software "eBand list editor", but could not. A message "failed to export" is displayed. How can you export the recorded audio line-in to the computer? ???
Thanks.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Zoom R24

64Guitars

Quote from: Daviram on September 01, 2011, 05:17:58 AMHi guys. In eBand mode, I recorded the audio line-in input. I tried to export with the software "eBand list editor", but could not. A message "failed to export" is displayed. How can you export the recorded audio line-in to the computer?

The manual for the eBand Song List Editor says of that error message:

Failed to export. - It was not possible to export the data since it did not exist in the eBand gears.

Are you sure the recording worked? Can you still play back the song in eBand mode?

If the song exists in eBand mode, then you should be able to export it with the eBand Song List Editor software. If that's not working, then maybe you should contact Roland tech support as it might be a bug in the eBand Song List Editor software.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Daviram

64G, Thanks for the reply. Yes, the audio was recorded. The recording in the mode eBand plays normally. I can import the audio for any channel in the mode MTR. As you said, the problem seems to be software related. Thanks again. (sorry, my English is horrible).

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Zoom R24

Greeny

Quote from: cuthbert on August 30, 2011, 11:20:52 AM
Quote from: Henky on August 30, 2011, 10:24:11 AMI don't think this is an oversight because now you can play along with any incoming signal like for example your MP3 player just like an incoming signal over USB, you don't want that (being probably your monitoring) going through the effects either.

I disagree, and consider it an oversight - if I want to add COSM effects to my stereo keyboard plugged into the BR-80, I'm out of luck. Since it's a recordable input signal, it's not unreasonable to expect to be able to use the COSM effects on it. Other BR models also have a 1/8 stereo input jack (my own experience has been with the original Micro BR), and effects are applied to them as well as any other input on the recorder.

I have to agree with Cuthbert on this. I regularly put a keyboard through the line-in on the MBR, and often apply fx patches to enhance or thicken the sound / tone. It does therefore seem to be a mistake on Roland's part - maybe not a deal-breaker, but certainly a negative for me.

Redler

Today, I used BR-80 as audio interface. I connected it via usb into my pc and changed ASIO4all settings to BR-80 (instead built in soundcard of PC). I played my midi keys via FL-Studio. The sound was great, but the mics of BR-80 are still active! Any tips? I even connected the output plug of my pc to line in of BR-80, but still the mics are on...?

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Redler on September 04, 2011, 01:06:35 AMToday, I used BR-80 as audio interface. I connected it via usb into my pc and changed ASIO4all settings to BR-80 (instead built in soundcard of PC). I played my midi keys via FL-Studio. The sound was great, but the mics of BR-80 are still active! Any tips? I even connected the output plug of my pc to line in of BR-80, but still the mics are on...?

Turn down the [REC LEVEL] control.

See this message:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=11749.msg161692#msg161692

And see the diagram and notes on page 53 of the BR-80 manual. The USB and Line In are not affected by REC LEVEL.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Redler

Thanks 64! I read the topic "using the BR-80 as an interface" on page 109 and there was referring to page 58 (on this edition) where the same thing was said as you refer above... I should read it more careful... ;)

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

godinqc

I got 2 more questions on the MBR-80
1) How can I Master the  song output in .MP3 format instead of .WAV, with the old MBR you could choose the Mastering output format , I did not see this with the MBR-80
2) How can I phase out the end of a song using the MBR-80
Thansk again
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800