Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 24, 2011, 12:41:17 PMThat's too bad. It would have been nice if they'd used the TR buttons so that you could go instantly to the section of the character set that you need. For example, TR1/2 could show uppercase characters starting at 'A'. TR3/4 could show lowercase characters starting at 'a'. TR5/6 could show numbers, punctuation, and other symbols. And TR7/8 could toggle the case of the currently-selected letter. Oh well. At least lowercase letters, numbers, and other characters are available, even if it's not quite as convenient to access them as it could be.

I agree.

Ah well...new machine, new ways, as the man from Roland would say. ;)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

"Try Hydrogen. It's free and since it only does drums, it's easier to learn than most DAWs."

Thanks 64G, will give it a whirl.

godinqc

Woohoo  !!  I also got a Micro Br-80 over the weekend .. Very nice , so far I like it a lot .. and the functionalities are fairly similar to the Micro Br, so it wasn`t too hard to learn the basics..

But I have one question, related to the Line IN  .. I can record using my guitar plugged into the Guitar jack , when I plug my Guitar it indicate that the input is now the Guitar
jack , if I unplug my guitar it indicates that the input is the Internal Mic, but when I plug in the Line IN, I get no indication that the input is now the Line IN, and when I record I can heard the device from the Line IN but I also heard the Internal Mic at the same time, so there`s a lot of outside noise from the Internal mic .. How can I specify just to record from the Line IN only ??
Is it me (user error) or my Line IN does not work properly ?
Thanks

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

That's just the way they designed it. At the bottom of page 53 of the BR-80 manual, it says:

• The signal from LINE IN jack and USB connector is mixed with the input from GUITAR/MIC IN jack or the built-in microphones, and then input to the recorder. Use the controls of the connected devices to adjust the volume balance.
  • To record only the sound arriving at the LINE IN jack and USB connector, turn the [REC LEVEL] dial all the way down.

So, as it says, just turn the [REC LEVEL] control on the right side of the BR-80 all the way to minimum if you just want Line In. That will prevent the internal mics from recording.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Gnasty

Quote from: godinqc on August 28, 2011, 06:57:37 PMWoohoo  !!  I also got a Micro Br-80 over the weekend .. Very nice , so far I like it a lot .. and the functionalities are fairly similar to the Micro Br, so it wasn`t too hard to learn the basics..

But I have one question, related to the Line IN  .. I can record using my guitar plugged into the Guitar jack , when I plug my Guitar it indicate that the input is now the Guitar
jack , if I unplug my guitar it indicates that the input is the Internal Mic, but when I plug in the Line IN, I get no indication that the input is now the Line IN, and when I record I can heard the device from the Line IN but I also heard the Internal Mic at the same time, so there`s a lot of outside noise from the Internal mic .. How can I specify just to record from the Line IN only ??
Is it me (user error) or my Line IN does not work properly ?
Thanks

I don`t know if you are referring to micing your amp the same way you mic it on the Micro br, you cannot do it the same. Just in case anyone wants to know. The line in for the Micro br-80 cannot be used for that. On the weekend i finally had the chance to record my amp and i picked up a cable for my shure 57 mic with the 1/4 inch plug in . It now shuts off the external mics. Works like a charm now. I remember i made a post saying how i couldn`t get my levels loud enough to hear great when i was recording this way on the original micro-br. With the micro-br 80 i have no problem hearing everything. It`s a much better device in that way too IMO.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

godinqc

Thansk for the info  :) .. I will give it a try (turning the REC LEVEL down)

I checked the manual but I do not see this reference, it must be an older version
>>To record only the sound arriving at the LINE IN jack and USB connector, turn the [REC LEVEL] dial all the way >>down.

Thanks again

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: godinqc on August 29, 2011, 06:31:28 AMI checked the manual but I do not see this reference, it must be an older version

I was quoting from revision 3 of the manual which you can download here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/om.cfm?PRODUCT=BR-80&iRcId=62121932&dsp=1

The revision number can be found on the back cover in the last two digits of the barcode. For example, the barcode number for revision 3 is 5100018468-03. Which revision is your manual?

There's also a diagram on page 53 which shows how the inputs are wired. You can see that REC LEVEL doesn't affect the Line In.

Looking at that diagram, I just noticed something odd. Only the guitar and mic inputs go through the effects. It doesn't seem possible to use effects with Line In. Can any BR-80 user confirm this?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

godinqc

Yep,  you are right , I tried using effects while recording via the Line IN and no go !
Thanks again for the info
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 29, 2011, 11:35:12 AMLooking at that diagram, I just noticed something odd. Only the guitar and mic inputs go through the effects. It doesn't seem possible to use effects with Line In. Can any BR-80 user confirm this?

Sadly, I can confirm this, and it strikes me as an oversight on Roland's part.

Looks like I will be filing another bug report/feature request...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Henky

Quote from: cuthbert on August 30, 2011, 08:07:08 AM
Quote from: 64Guitars on August 29, 2011, 11:35:12 AMLooking at that diagram, I just noticed something odd. Only the guitar and mic inputs go through the effects. It doesn't seem possible to use effects with Line In. Can any BR-80 user confirm this?

Sadly, I can confirm this, and it strikes me as an oversight on Roland's part.

Looks like I will be filing another bug report/feature request...

I don't think this is an oversight because now you can play along with any incoming signal like for example your MP3 player just like an incoming signal over USB, you don't want that (being probably your monitoring) going through the effects either.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Zoom HD16
recorder
Zoom R16
recorder
Cubase